Classic Cyclo Cross from 1962

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Grand bit o' film of t'1962 National Champs 'oop 'ere in't sunny West Riding of Yorkshire. Beryl Burton winning t'wimmins event (wimmin ridin' 'cross, whatever next!!) and several old mates and acquaintances - some sadly no longer with us - getting right mucky, laiking abaht in't mud.

It ain't like that now!

Thank goodness ;)

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/fil ... ampionship

Thanks for posting this. Likewise many old acquaintances. I remember training with Harry Bond on the Keighley Velo bash in the late 60's. How did Beryl manage to not get mud on her jersey?
Aaaah the nostalgia!

Midlife":1m7cze2m said:
Just thought I'd post to get three avatars in a row showing people racing their bikes :D

Shaun

And only one wearing a helmet!

Of sorts ;)

Featch":1wovbjfj said:
Thanks for posting this. Likewise many old acquaintances. I remember training with Harry Bond on the Keighley Velo bash in the late 60's. How did Beryl manage to not get mud on her jersey?
Aaaah the nostalgia!

Coz it was virtually a one woman race, she could have ridden it in her sleep and won. It's supposed to be national championship race but it's so amateurish it's a joke. Women's racing was so uncompetitive, and even now, that all it takes is one talented rider to completely dominate the sport.

Burton family

Random info here but i live next door to Denise of road riding fame in her own right and often see Charlie heading off on his bike in his 80s

Old Ned":j0f9w76q said:
Grand bit o' film of t'1962 National Champs 'oop 'ere in't sunny West Riding of Yorkshire. Beryl Burton winning t'wimmins event (wimmin ridin' 'cross, whatever next!!) and several old mates and acquaintances - some sadly no longer with us - getting right mucky, laiking abaht in't mud.

It ain't like that now!

Thank goodness ;)

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/fil ... ampionship

By happy coincidence, this weekend's Nationals were also in Yorkshire! Thanks for the link, as an added bonus one of the suggested clips on the site's sidebar was rare colour footage of Billy Liar being filmed on location in Leeds & Bradford (I used to pass the 30s semi in Baildon used as the Fisher family home on my way to work some years back). :)

As for the CX film, the sight of bikes being chucked over walls, streams and ditches rather than being carried ("It's bad technique, is that", as Mr. Boycott might put it) made me wince - no way would I treat my Fort in that manner!! :shock: Although maybe 'cross bikes as carefully-built, specific "tools for the job" weren't really as common back then - not many sets of canti brakes in evidence in the film, though they did exist - before the likes of John Atkins and Keith Mernickle came along and made a big impact on the sport.

David

Back