Kona Explosif 1997 - "look, a golden bike!"

al-onestare wrote:
I wonder if that's ever seen dirt! I don't think you'll find a better "straight out of the catalogue" example, that's absolutely mint and deserves it's on thread Wink
Agreed, will get some better pics together and post with more info.

Cheers

So...it's been a while! Cutting a very long story short, big thanks to Max who stepped up and re-created a design (that we didn't go with in the end) and KonaBen who's decals are 98% spot on:

dsc0102re.jpg

dsc0104le.jpg

These are much more like it but I've learnt (and one for the geeks!) that it appears there is a very slight varience of decal size per size of frame. That makes a lot of sense. These were based on an 18" frame and mine is 19", they don't quite fit the space left by the removal.

But, after a couple of coats of lacquer you have to look pretty hard to see the slight difference (between new and old lacquer).

She's all cabled up but my final push to complete it last night failed when I realised the chain was fucked. So, new SRAM 8 speed on order; I'm away this weekend, so next weekend and she'll finally be ready to go.

I think she looks the nuts :cool:

So without rubbing it in, I love this bike. I really do. I cannot wait to get her out on the trails.

I remember reading on here about the thickness of the tubes and I'm pretty sure Anthony mentioned something about Explosif's of this era. Well I had a look the other night at the seat tube thickness and compared with my 96 CC and 97 Manomano. To say it's thin would be an understatement :shock: :!:

Anyway, chain ordered, away this weekend, so next weekend it'll be finished and ready for her cover-shoot ;)

Back