'93 Saracen Race Elite- New pic, looks better now!

Piperdave":1wrraqq6 said:
Well,

adjusted the chain length, front and rear mechs, did the cables and took it out for a test ride.

Feels very different to my BSO Griffin :LOL: . Oddly, the rear brake seems to work better than the front one :? STI changers seem to work well, never ridden with them before.

Just got to set it up for SWMBO.

Weighed it as well....16kg. Lighter than the Apollo...is this a good weight, i haven't really paid much attention to the weight of other peoples bikes here.

Thanks for all the help i receved.

Dave

Jeez, thats more like a tandem or freeride rig weight, will be a slog on even the slightest of inclines on fat tyres!

Most of my steeds weigh 9.5 to 10 kg, My Ritchey Plexus weighes 8.5Kg, needs to go on a diet!

legrandefromage":2yfl1fr8 said:
send the frame to me - I will return it fully 'retro' for the cost of postage...

LGF...yet again an offer from an RBer that i have yet to meet.. and from someone who has been kind to me in the past, and to whom i already have a debt of gratitude to repay :oops:

I am sorry, but if you don't take off those awful forks, shocking chainset, rear mech and horrific seatpost ASAP I will be round to beat you round the head with them!! ;)

She deserves better (your other half AND the frame!) !!

I will send you a seatpost (if I have the right size, let me know) FOC.
I will send you a better rear mech FOC.

Let me know your address.

I might also have some cranks but I'll have to have a dig around. I certainly have a million BB's!!

Piperdave":2m7mwzv1 said:
legrandefromage":2m7mwzv1 said:
send the frame to me - I will return it fully 'retro' for the cost of postage...

LGF...yet again an offer from an RBer that i have yet to meet.. and from someone who has been kind to me in the past, and to whom i already have a debt of gratitude to repay :oops:

Well the offer is still there!

to be honest with lgf's offer and his background in saracens....it would be a wise move to take him up on the offer and would get the mrs on two wheels quick smart and with a bike she would love to ride

There is always ways to repay people with Karma such as parts you no longer use....helping collect and post a bike or parts etc

how about these bad boys....

steerer of 245mm, a-c of 400mm. v or canti. apart from some storage scrapes to the laquer they are good solid forks. 1.1/8" virtually straight blades. poor pics but a coppery brown. from some hybrid i reckon. steel but not too heavy.

no longer available, sorry.

Hi. My own 93 race elite uses a 1.1/8" threaded headset and forks. Which I'm sure is original. Probably why your forks look short.
It may be worth considering looking for threaded if you struggle with your current parts. You will then need a quill stem and maybe bars...

And don't put the prices on show. It's a slippery slope when the other half keeps seeing parcels arrive at the door and they aren't for her :)

Myshrall189":3pi781lp said:
It's a slippery slope when the other half keeps seeing parcels arrive at the door and they aren't for her :)

I usually get in before her :cool:

She is unfortunately not very "bikey" so i struggle with concepts like "cool", "well designed" "period" " efficient" "original" "rare" etc :roll:

Never mind, this will be pulled into shape eventually.

Thanks for all the help...

Dave

PS Now the proud owner of a Deore XT rear mech...thanks to Ringo.

So.....

it's been a couple of weeks, and i've been shopping. Thanks to beshroomed for some brakes, and to Freemans Cycles in Norwich for some forks with a massive 250mm steerer at a reasonable price.

http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/bicycle ... -head.html

Fitted it all up this morning, and i am pleased with the result. The forks make it look much more like it was designed to look, and the brakes work well. I know that some people will still not like the cranks, and seat post, but this is now a ridable work in progress, and other parts will change along the way. I also reweighed it, and am pleased with the resulting 13.75 kg. Lighter than my BSO :cool:

There is not a lot of the Apollo used on it now, just the wheels, headset, bars, cranks, and seatpost/saddle. Still, cheaper than buying a new one, and much, much better.

Just to remind you...before

Now with rigid forks....

Rear end detail with new mech and brakes

Rear view

Front fork detail

Front view

As i said, still work in progress, but ridable.

Many thanks to all who have helped, given advice, or offered parts FOC. It was all much appriciated.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Back