Looking at Road Cycling - HELP!

DVL

Dirt Disciple
I'm looking at doing some road cycling next year, just to get me out and about more than anything else. I don't have a road bike, I know very little about them, and I really don't like the look of the modern ones which seem to be covered in masses of graphics. I therefore humbly ask for the Retro Bike collective thoughts.

I have a budget of £300, maybe a bit more. I would like a steel frame of reasonable quality and a fairly modern drivetrain.
I've built up a couple of mountain bikes, so building a road bike would appeal to me, but would I be better off buying something complete? What would you do regarding frame? Are the lower Shimano (for example) components any good?
Finally, frame sizing issues. I'm roughly 5"9' with an inside leg of approx. 30", so I'm thinking that a frame between 50cm and maybe 54cm would be the area to be in.

Apologies that there's so many questions, but if you have any thoughts I'd be glad to hear them.

Darren

I'll pass on some of the advice I was given on here a few months ago when I was looking for my first ever proper road bike: Have a good look in the classifieds in the road section.

I got a more or less complete bike for a nudge over £200, on which I have now covered a sensible number of miles.

Regarding size, you will need a bigger frame that you would have with a mountain bike. I am 6ft 1" and usually ride 17.5 to 18" mtbs, but could happily ride a 23" road frame.

I will leave it to others to advise on makes, but there are plenty of good bikes and frames here that will both suit your needs and your budget.

Regarding Shimano; the road kit is much the same as the mtb kit, the higher the spec, the lighter it is. The advantage with road components is that there is some good high spec kit around, for not huge money, typically something like Shimano Ultegra / 600 Tricolor which is what I have on my bike. It is good quality, but without a huge price tag.

For now, I'd suggest having a good look at the classifieds, using the search function to find information on interesting bikes, and keep your money in your pocket for now.

Also, look up Tels adverts, as he has some amazing bikes for sale from time to time.

I think Neil has posted some good pointers, £300 should definitely get you a good spec steel bike, look out for Reynolds or Columbus frame tubing, forged drop outs and a built in gear hanger. Generally, £300 should get you a better complete bike than it will a frame and parts to build. Build projects can easily run away cost wise.

A lot of bikes will be sized in inches, so I'd say you're looking at 21" / 22" frame. Look out for the 'stand over height', with a 30" inside leg you'd want a stand over about 29.5". Not everyone lists it, but its a good ball park for fit rather than you're height. Two 5' 10" people can have completely different leg and back lengths.

Name wise the list is endless, but sticking to the above should eliminate most of the crap :)

I paid £250 for my 653 ribble with full 600 tricolour in mint condition. Brands like that are ideal for scoring a bargain.

Thanks for the advice. I don't currently have the budget in place, so sitting on my hands and looking in the classifieds and eBay was always the initial step.

If anyone else has any thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate them.

Darren

To quote Robbied196 -

"Look out for the 'stand over height', with a 30" inside leg you'd want a stand over about 29.5". Not everyone lists it, but its a good ball park for fit rather than you're height."

It made me smile :D

Some people's ball park may vary in size!!!!!

Back