1990 Haro Extreme

RustyGold":1x2mafnu said:
Corr' Blimey! a medium is 19.5 :LOL:

I'm excited to see how this turns out! It's great that the attention you're lavishing on this bike is probably more than it's received in it's 22 years of existence - Good on 'ya :D.

Probably :D i think this one could fix up nice for really little money, or thats what im hoping anyway

That's only c-c, c-t its 21“ ...I would consider that to be a large myself :? it does have a really low front end though and it does feel smaller than it is

sean

SEANSTEPHENS":1918ftl6 said:
RustyGold":1918ftl6 said:
Corr' Blimey! a medium is 19.5 :LOL:

I'm excited to see how this turns out! It's great that the attention you're lavishing on this bike is probably more than it's received in it's 22 years of existence - Good on 'ya :D.

Probably :D i think this one could fix up nice for really little money, or thats what im hoping anyway

personally id consider 19.5" to be a large :? it does have a really low front end though and it does feel smaller than it is

sean

I too would consider a 19.5" to be one for the not so vertically challenged amongst us, however, I was wondering what effect the geometry (in particular the low front-end you mentioned) would have on sizing and ride.

Either way, such a cool frame. I remember seeing a particularly fluro example being 'flatland'd' BITD. I believe it was in a book of mountain biking (circa '95....ahhhhh, the memories :lol).

Rob Atkin":33xa5ugm said:
My Extreme (see signature for link) was the smallest frame size!!

Mine was a lovely flouro one too.... :)

Just finished reading it start to finish, it just goes to show how great these can look when they're done right :)

30/10/2012 its not pretty, but its progress. going back to the bristol bike project later to remove the bb

IMG-20121030-00286.jpg

Oh dear,you have started something now...I was totally lost in that thread.I NEED one!. My favourite bike of the collection is my "99 Haro escape (130mm forks, Maguras etc) ,which I really love to abuse off-road ,Haro seems to be a brand that does not get the credit they deserve ,but on the plus side that keeps the price down!
Having read a bit about the extreme I think it would make a really nice urban bike......Nice to see you are doing it all yourself.the "meat cleaver" made me smile,,,a man after my own heart,no messing about just get on with it :D
My local powdercoaters want £40 to blast frame and forks ,prime and topcoat!
watching this with great interest...
Mark

For some reason the side shot of mine is missing from my thread so here it is:

7c26b55f.jpg

Rear brake area...

e80919ba.jpg

My Favorite pic....

240aaf47.jpg

:-D

fun at fiftyish":233vessu said:
Oh dear,you have started something now...I was totally lost in that thread.I NEED one!. My favourite bike of the collection is my "99 Haro escape (130mm forks, Maguras etc) ,which I really love to abuse off-road ,Haro seems to be a brand that does not get the credit they deserve ,but on the plus side that keeps the price down!
Having read a bit about the extreme I think it would make a really nice urban bike......Nice to see you are doing it all yourself.the "meat cleaver" made me smile,,,a man after my own heart,no messing about just get on with it :D
My local powdercoaters want £40 to blast frame and forks ,prime and topcoat!
watching this with great interest...
Mark

Much underrated is the meat cleaver method :LOL: this is probably one of the quickest frames ive stripped, mind you the paint was rather weak.... the haro is hopefully gonna be a head turner once its built and im eager to get it finished.

anyway heres the result of the work done last night. I'm going to remove the rest of the paint with nitro mors :)

p4pb8851875.jpg

the bottom bracket i removed from the frame: its so rusted, that im surprised the axle actually moved, and ive ruined the threads anyway as the bb had to be removed in the vice. im gonna fit a sealed unit instead :)

p4pb8851874.jpg

and if mine looks anywhere near as good as yours rob, id be very happy indeed ;)

Sean

Thanks very much!

Yours will probably ride better than mine as the (original) chrome forks that came with were brutally harsh on the arms. Yours look a bit more spindly and will probably be a little easier on the trails.

They climb really well and getting air seems natural - maybe the BMX heritage helps with that.

Back