Bikes seen out and about

I didn't notice that! You do wonder how these bikes end up as hack bikes used purely for transport by people with no interest in cycling. A common gear I've seen people use is with both gear levers pushed forward all the way, ie small ring and smallest sprocket.

This is the sort of bike I like for utility cycling, a Puch Elegance:

Attachments

• Puch Elegance.jpg
    Puch Elegance.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 792
Pinarello, or at least a frame with that name on, it has long Campagnolo ends so it's not junk.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 777
Love the Raleigh Hustler. There's something just a bit 1979 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe de Ville with white fur interior abput that bike...

The front brake cable on that Moser is way slack, too. It almost looks like the person that installed it thinks that the function of that bit of alloy crimped on the end of it is to hold it in tension. :( Hope not....

It looks like the qr is open, both front and back. Even with it closed the blocks are probably quite far from the rim, so with it open the cable actually goes slack.

I think it's a Modolo Flash although the levers are marked Gipiemme, and the cranks are Gipiemme as well.

Also the stem looks it's too far out of the frame to be safe.

Attachments

• brake.jpg
    brake.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 742
It's bizarre isn't it?

when someone leaves a nice old road bike locked up so weirdly adjusted... top gear, barely functioning brakes, I suppose it's charitable to assume that these are deliberate anti-theft adjustments to make riding the thing away as problematic as possible, maybe giving them time to catch the thief.

The alternative explanation is just depressing...... but much more likely. :(

No name yellow frame with track ends. It has quite a distinctive seat cluster. Also the frame number is on the top of the seat tube.

Attachments

• lugs.jpg
    lugs.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 646
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 646
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 646
Ken Bird. Or resprayed "by" Ken Bird.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 548
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 548
Manchester Nov 2012

Saw these on Manchester Victoria station last week. They're very close together so the photo's look a bit cluttered, sorry.

Attachments

• Bikes in Manchester sepia.JPG
    Bikes in Manchester sepia.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 486
  • Bikes in Manchester 2 Sepia.JPG
    Bikes in Manchester 2 Sepia.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 486
  • Bikes in Manchester 3 Sepia.JPG
    Bikes in Manchester 3 Sepia.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 486
  • Bikes in Manchester 4 Sepia.JPG
    Bikes in Manchester 4 Sepia.JPG