A little help with my Wheeler Ti ...

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
First post. Ummm Hi.

This seems like the place to go for this. I have a couple of retro bikes I use for commuting and trail riding. I just picked this up, along with a NOS Stumpjumper frame. I know enough about the stumpy ... simple stuff.

I was told it was a 2003 Wheeler Titanium frame, which it is not. I knew that right away when I went to see it. I am guessing its a 1993 Wheeler Titanium. Its 18" and weighs just under 3.1lbs with the BB. There is not a lot of info on these things on the web. I have seen a couple of nice re-builds and a few different names for it (E1, 8900, III, etc.)

I was hoping someone on here might know what this is and maybe a bit about it so I can find the right use for it.

Attachments

• IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 3,021
That's nice frame there! I haven't had the chance to handle any Wheelers in the past but I have been a distant admirer for some time.

I did have a quick poke around t'nternet with a view to gleaning more information about this frame (I hadn't encountered a Ti Wheeler before). I went to Wheeler's website and got this tidbit:

1993 The first Titanium bike, 8900 is developed.

I then checked Bikepedia using the '8900' model name and gleaned a spec-list from it's production run ('93 being the only year stated)

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...and=Wheeler&Model=8900&Type=bike#.UI0a3G8xqNU
*Check the price! no wonder we don't see many of 'em :D.

I hope this information goes some way to pointing you in the right direction. I'm looking forward to seeing this built and ridden :twisted:

Too bad the wheeler website pic is so small.

I was wondering what the strength of the frame was like. Its in very good shape. Obviously no decals, but it has minimal scratches and not a single ding in it.

Thinking of 3 options for it ...

1. My new commuter (my bikes go from in the house to in my classroom so they are never left out). Do sort of a resto-mod setup with some later model XT and XTR and a carbon fork.

2. Build it up into modernish mountain bike with a mix of old and new and ride it all the time. Maybe a pair of the pretty blue SID race forks and 950 XTR it out.

3. Basically restore it to its original glory and ride it sparingly. I have a bunch of NOS XTR 900 series.

jimi911":h2c386ho said:
Too bad the wheeler website pic is so small.

I know, right?. I did see if I could find an enlarged version of the 8900, or indeed the '93 catalogue, but to no avail :(.

As for build, well I can't help thinking this would make an incredibly agile 'stealthy' commuter, given the right low-key/low weight build.

Dibs if you ever decide to part with it! :LOL:.

Haha ... Think I am going to keep this one. Got it for a good price and I have never owned a ti frame before. Sorta cool to have something this light.

Starting to lean toward putting this thing on the dirt.

I have a 1995 Stumpjumper FS I use right now for my commuter. I have had it since new and the thing is like NOS. I left for university shortly after I got it, and it sat in my fams basement for nearly 11 years before I remembered still had it! I am too prissy to take it back offroad consistently ... its too pretty.

Looks like I have a bunch of good 737 and 739 XT stuff from somewhere. Might try this thing out as a trail rider first. If it works out it can live at my cottage for riding up there. A light hardtail is a blessing on those trails. Looks like I have a nos syncros stem, and titec ti bar as well.

Just need to track down a 28mm seatpost ... worst size ever.

Ok ... I think I have it figured out. Took out a friends bike out and I liked it so it seems to be the best of all worlds.

XT 739 and 737 Component group for starters ... upgrade as I go. The group I have is very nice, but I want a few of those fancier pieces I liked as a kid, but lack the funds for at the time :)

Going back to rigid with a new Carbon fork. I will be able to have this double as a commuter with a wheel change.

Thinking all black and titanium for looks.

I have some wheeler specific part off of a 8900 or 9800 I parted out if you want them for Karma + shipping.

Wheeler post 31.6??, wheeler Ti seat, wheeler bar and grips I think.

PM me if you want them.

Latest posts

Back