Hitachi

argonsixar

Retro Guru
I see the Japanese have been given £700M to build nuclear power plants here.
That'll be OK then. They've got a great recent safety record :shock:

Quite ridiculous given the expertise and history right here.

Whatever my personal view on nuclear and wind, etc. we ought to be exploiting our technological and engineering heritage.

German trains? Do you think Germany would ever award a major engineering contract to a British firm?

argonsixar":ducc044v said:

was the safty not to good because a 40 ft tall wave crashed into the plant ? hardly a everyday event :roll:

What is the problem ? The UK is far from self sufficient in energy anyway, an incredible amount of power comes from France who have an incredible surplus due to the french love affair with nuclear energy (EDF is a french company btw)....so what if Japan buys our powerstations ?
We've already sold most of our assets to multinationals who just rip them apart for the best bits and then toss the leavings aside.
One thing that would severely piss me off if I had the time to think about it is, Porsche, Volkswagen, BMW, Audi, Krups etc are all seen as luxury items and status symbols while the british car and steel industry lies rotting. My Grandfathers should be hitting about 500rpm.

Still this is what you get for living in a country where a quick quid is preferable to pride in your country and it's industriai heritage.

I live fairly close to Oldbury, so this was on the local news last night.

A local anti said that the Japanese had a poor safety record with nuclear reactors and then mentioned the tsunami. I didn't get the rest of his argument, as I was laughing too much.

Better allow for a sea wall when constructing the new reactors, that Severn Bore can get nasty.

Lots of women say Hitachi make amazing vibrators so I'm sure they can knock up a few nuclear power plants :)

I don't know what the fuss is about.

It's only nuclear power.....what could possibly go wrong?

al.

argonsixar":1govnosk said:

Sarcasm fail, because actually -- they have. Fukushima was a forty year old design exposed to an unprecedented combination of earthquake and tsunami way beyond anything it was designed for, and actually came through it quite well. Yes, some radioactive material escaped, but no-one died.

Modern reactors are inherently safer than Fukushima (not relying on electrical power for cooling, in particular). And if we actually want to use electricity in the future, we kind of have to have nuclear plants...

MikeD":3lo9ydfk said:
argonsixar":3lo9ydfk said:

Sarcasm fail, because actually -- they have. Fukushima was a forty year old design exposed to an unprecedented combination of earthquake and tsunami way beyond anything it was designed for, and actually came through it quite well. Yes, some radioactive material escaped, but no-one died.

Modern reactors are inherently safer than Fukushima (not relying on electrical power for cooling, in particular). And if we actually want to use electricity in the future, we kind of have to have nuclear plants...

That's you told! :LOL:

Thanks again Jim Fici for that.

al.

ps Trident....... good idea or a bloody disgrace? ;)

Back