1997 GT Zaskar modern makeover FINISHED FINALLY

Of course dude, nothing that fancy really.
Stickers removed with hair dryer and fingers.
Worst scratches flatted out as much as I dared too with 360 wet and dry. Then whole bike with 600 & 1200 and fine wire wool especially in the weld recesses. I then washed it off with hot soapy water.
I'd not heard of Peek either, was going to use Autosol until someone on here mentioned it was good as it leaves no residue and is less harsh.
Anyway, have done 3 polish ups with it now, first being most aggressive and the last just a light buff over. I have got some 3 micron diamond paste I'm looking after for work that is supposed to be for polishing metallurgy lab specimens. I may go over once with that just to be a total bling twat.
Last stage but not yet done will be a polish with some Meguiars car wax. Will hopefully keep oxidisation to a minimum.
And elbow grease of course. Took a fair while, but is good and satisfying result, sat out conservatory, Planet Rock playing in the back ground and a bottle of beer on the go!

I know it won't be true Retro when complete, but I hope people will see and appreciate the effort that has gone into it and just see it as keeping a classic design alive.

nice! GT frames look good when polished. got an ally GT frame i am not using and whenever i see a thread like this i think about stripping paint and making it shiny.

Get busy matey. Very rewarding I'm finding.
As much as I like the ball burnished look. When it is bashed to hell, it needs doing again and that costs. I'm a tight arse so this is cheapest option to get it looking good again.

Cheers! Not likely to embark on a frame just yet but would be useful to tidy up a few things. Sounds like you have a good approach to it too :cool:

Also very taken with the phrase 'total bling that' :LOL:

Watching this with interest as im doing the same thing. Zaskar frame but with modern forks, maguras and groupset.

Kinda struggling with the components at the moment, namely stem/fork/bar combo. Not sure what works

Gotten myself a bit side tracked as have decided to also make up another old Zaskar, but stick discs on it and use it off road, but keep this one for Sunday best.
Also cant decide what decals to go for and in what colour.
I have nearly all components which are mainly older XTR and some modern Raceface and Sram. Went for some Pace forks, however struggling to find V brake hangars for them now which is annoying!

More pics soon

jimmyricket":tln9xqil said:
Watching this with interest as im doing the same thing. Zaskar frame but with modern forks, maguras and groupset.

Kinda struggling with the components at the moment, namely stem/fork/bar combo. Not sure what works

Reckon you can get away with most things on a Zaskar, it's skinny steel frames with fat stems that I personally can't stand :evil: Kore seems to be a popular choice, but I'd be very drawn to Titec so that you can use a full matching set of bars/seatpost/bar-ends/presumably stem, with their Flat Trakker bar at 640mm which should really suit the aggressive character of the bike :cool:

I seem to recall a gt of some kind..it escapes me at the momment..but it had a lime/fluro green decals that looked quite spanky on the polished frame

elPedro666":3oswkc6e said:
V-brake hangers? Do you mean the clamp-on bosses? Shouldn't need a hanger with Vs!

Bosses, hangers what ever theyre called :D
Just need the gadgets to fit V brakes to them. Will speak to Pace soon if no one can help. Hopefully they will have some.

Back