Anyone riding 2x9

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
As per post - anyone?

With 39/26 front and 11-34 rear will give me all the low gears that I have on 3x9 set up plus weight. (yes, I know I will need 9 spd shifters and 9 spd mech)

I am looking at this set up. I need a low end rather than a high end and am thinking smaller granny than larger cog.

Rapid rise are less hardy, long cage are less hardy. Something to be considered.

Out of my 4 bikes only one, my Mongoose Amplifier 2, still has a triple chainring. Single or dual appealed to me because I never use extreme high or lows. My On-One Summer Season is 1x9 using Funn Hooka crank and a single 36 chainring. My Mongoose Deuce Pro is 2x9 using Truvativ Holzfeller 36-24 crankset. I have just fitted an FSA K-Force Light Carbon cranks with 39-27 to my Giant Anthem. This last one is the best and really suits me, I don't miss the extremes at all. 1x9 is ok for me when there's not much in the way of hills around, up or down. With the 2x9 36-24 I sometimes miss a little more high gear on the downs but manage ok. The 2x9 39-27 remedies this just right. I have 11-34 casette on all three bikes. I won't go back to 3x9 anytime.

Also 2x9 was easy to set up on both bikes using existing front shifters and mech using the limit adjusters on the front mech on both Deore on the Mongoose and XT on the Giant.

^^^ great it is convincing me more and more to do that. The 10 spd cassette is 60g heavier than equivalent 9 spd - and I you say, the high gears I hardly use except whebn on road so I just have to pedal faster. :LOL:

I'm running 2x9 on an old Interloc Tempest frame. Front shifter is a dedicated 2x Ritchey/Sachs twister that I got from Nashbar several years ago. It was one half of the Ritchey 2x9 grip shifters of the late 90s. I paired it up with a 11-34 cassette, XT derailleur and Sram Rocket(?) triggers. Oh, and 26/36 rings and bash. Works well in most conditions.

I run 1x10 but before that I ran a dual ring set up and never missed having a big ring. It was just something else to break or hurt you when you crash. I liked the additional clearance, especially in the peaks where there are lots of rocks.

There are times when I wish I had a granny ring for the really long slots when you just need to spin.

Have been for years! Various bikes and spec. Perfect combo for me :D

Attachments

• 229925_10151463380250744_572104773_n.jpg
    229925_10151463380250744_572104773_n.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 455
Awkward Kid":240hrbxg said:
Have been for years! Various bikes and spec. Perfect combo for me :D

+1

Ran 2x9 for years until I ended up on a bike 2x10 this year. 2x9 is my favourite set up.

Tried running 1 x 10 but found I need the granny ring even with a 34/36 ratio :oops: so now on a 2 x 10 setup but honestly thinking of going back to a 2 x 9 instead as its so much cheaper when pricing up the mechs / shifters etc.

Back