My attempt at welding.....

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
One good thing about unemployment is the wealth of free college courses on offer to me locally, so thought I'd take up a welding course...

After a few attempts, I was let loose on a MIG welder, and performed a lap weld... Bit of spatter, but otherwise none too shabby methinks..

D355BC4A-37B2-4B02-8410-3763E80B4D52-1376-000002D2B982EE68.jpg

Looks ok....i started a city n guilds i 09 and found i was prettry neat but then i just lost my flow and couldn't get it back :cry: ...fun while it lasted.....hey ho , But I can solder like a GOD :cool: if that counts !

Tidy :)

I made this on a one-day course a while back:

Mini railing by MikeDavis, on Flickr

Bought a tatty MIG off ebay which I've not yet actually plugged in, so I've no idea if it works. Not sure there's any gas in the bottle, either. Also the bottle says "Property Of Courage Breweries" on it ;)

You have skillz if that is your first or near first go.

Some people just take to it.

Can't tell what penetration you got, being a lap weld it is hard to know looking at it.

After a life, literally, of gas, arc and mig I have been Tig welding the last while. Only now do I really appreciate the art in those wonderful welds we take for granted!

:)

highlandsflyer":17wakq5q said:
You have skillz if that is your first or near first go.

Some people just take to it.

Can't tell what penetration you got, being a lap weld it is hard to know looking at it.

After a life, literally, of gas, arc and mig I have been Tig welding the last while. Only now do I really appreciate the art in those wonderful welds we take for granted!

:)

That was after about 3 hours of practice runs. The beauty is they give you a machine (and gas, of course) and just let you weld weld weld... :D ..

Penetration could be a bit better, as my angle of attack is not quite perfect on this one..

Having managed teams of welders in my past two positions (TIG welded pressure vessels in Carbon and stainless steel) I guess I've picked up a fair old bit of theoretical knowledge, if not the practical side..

Back