Mr P Roadie Aftermath - Killin Us Softly with Steep Hills

Looks like an epic retro day out......but the combination of hills / wind / rain sound 'orrrible..........I'm such a fair weather cyclist, its embarrassing!

Brilliant day out

Evening lads
Thanks for a brilliant day out!
Even though I was well out of form, embarassingly so, I really had a good day.
Any macretro rides a good 'un ;)
It was a really beautiful spot and made me realise just how much I miss the hills.
Will definately try and get back my old form for the rerun.
The pics are great, and while I only took a couple they are pretty rubbish really and dont show the true conditions.
I spent the night at my friends near Aviemore and left early this morning.
Thanks again guys, as usual it was a pleasure to ride with you.

Who shrunk my bike?..................must be all that rain ;)
IMG_3478.jpg

I thought it was a pretty good day even with the stinker of a cold I had on Sunday which has now turned into Full On ManFlu.
Fuel consumed on route = 1 bottle Lucozade (orange), 2 Macaroon bars and a jam roll (strawberry).

A bit drizzly, but at least it wasn't hammering down too much after we set off........and yeah - deffo take lights next time. For my money this is a magic autumn jaunt due the landsape and tree coluouring especially at the Fortingall/Kenmore end. Nice enough in summer though.

The pink sheeps of Glen Lyon posed dutifully for ZZ, but they pissed off when I got the camera out
P1020328.jpg

Happy smiling people
P1020334.jpg

Ubiquitous telegraph pole shot
P1020336.jpg

Rob, HawMaw and Velo glide off into the distant murky gloom
P1020338.jpg

....only to reveal another telegraph pole
P1020341.jpg

Meanwhile I wait for Jamie who's been having trouble with his little ring :shock: He's round here somewhere, but the orange jumper isnae helping me find him
P1020344.jpg

Ahh - here he is
P1020346.jpg

To be said in Antipodean - "Yeah its a real bummer. Every time I try to engage, my little ring siezes up" :shock:
P1020348.jpg

Retro phone box
P1020378.jpg

Trees
P1020352.jpg

Trees
P1020356.jpg

More trees
P1020368.jpg

Whilst the others scoff soup, cream scones and coffee, I spot this Auld Gippo Tranny muttering spells and fiddling with the bikes. 5 minutes later Velo's rear end is flat ;)
P1020357.jpg

Departing the Tearoom of Joy. Rado despondent after the constant "You thought it was fancy dress?" jibes
P1020381.jpg

Pausing on the way up to the next col
P1020387.jpg

How much rear tyre clearance do you need anyway?
P1020389.jpg

Puncture No4 being dealt with
P1020396.jpg

Jamie still suffering little ring issues.......
P1020401.jpg

.......being hounded by tosspot 4x4 bods who later get flashed by Rob as they try to speed away from the MacRetro Posse
P1020403.jpg

Last photie before top speed descent
P1020409.jpg

Anarchy in Action :LOL:
P1020413.jpg

Keep and eye on the weather over the next few weeks :twisted:

Brilliant photies Iain, glad you got some shots of the trees and leaves, the light was fantastic at that point of the ride - annoyed with myself for not stopping and snapping a few.

Loved the 'no cycling' sign. Looking at the rain at 10 I thought it was going to come true.

Great photos, looks like a good route. Sorry i missed it, but a number factors were weighing against it :(

Excellent looking roads, canny believe you all had so many flats

Hope there's an impromptu rerun

Really enjoyed our trip around the B roads of Tayside one I'd got the first hill from hell under my belt on the pig iron special. I've found myself wanting more and a wee bit better bike although my budgets seriously restrained.
Consequently just bought a Raleigh Criterium frame in reynolds 501. Its battered to hell but cheap and will need lots of TLC but should fit all the bits off the Dawes which will retire from road bike adventures.
Hopefully upgrade stuff as months progress but the frame itself gets generally favourable views from the retro roadies be it a basic affair so thats a start :D
Roll on more trips !

velomaniac":2y5bqz0y said:
Consequently just bought a Raleigh Criterium frame in reynolds 501. Its battered to hell but cheap and will need lots of TLC

best of luck with the build Velo, the raleigh criterium brings back memories of a lad I used to train with in the 80s. he had a fire engine red crit', my first skinny tyre was a raleigh quaser, also with a 501 tube set (or 3 501 tubes anyway)

Back