availability of italian thread freewheels

GazK

Retro Guru
As part of my Raleigh Gran Sport rebuild I'm looking for campy hubs. I notice a fair few of them on ebay have Italian threading. If I bought one of these would I be able to get a corresponding 6 speed freewheel easily (and cheaply!) or should I limit myself to english threading?

Loads of italian thread stuff available.

I might have a spare in the pile of stuff that you could have.

OK bugloss, thanks very much for the offer - if I end up with an Italian Job I'll get back to you. Very kind to offer.

You're welcome.

Just a thought though, why don't you buy a used set of complete wheels.
Pre loved wheels with rims for tubulars are really good value and £100 should get a really nice set of wheels.
That's cheaper than the labour cost including spokes if you get a set built.
I bought a set of hardly used Campagnolo Strada Hardox wheels with C Record hubs including tubulars for £130.00. They're really very nice wheels and I think they were a super bargain.
Just check your rear spacing between the dropouts (For road 126mm or 130mm) decide on your hub and rim combo and go from there. You may be lucky to get a set of 32 spoke track wheels, that have unused brake surfaces. That's new wheels in my book.

Get the seller to take loads of photo's before you buy and you should be all right. Make sure the skewers are included as they'll cost up to £35.00 per set. Theres a it of a trend to withhold the skewers when wheels are put up for sale and that's a pain.

Ask around proper old fashioned bike shops and you may get wheels at a sensible price. I buy complete wheels for the tubs. Paying more than about 25 quid is not an option. It's only the fashion that pushes the prices up so find somewhere that hasn't found fashion yet.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. Bugloss, thats a good idea, only thing is, the part of the build I'm looking forward to *most* is building up the wheels myself. Having said that, if I can buy wheels with tub rims I could always sell on the rims and then add clinchers.

I've noticed the skewers separated thing - in fact the trend right now seems to be to part out down to the lowest level. So on that note I have a single bearing from a C-record hub, £4ono, any takers? I have plenty more where that one came from!

Mattsccm, I will do as you say, but most of the local bike shops fall into the "we buy and service MTBs, whats a road bike? Oh those, yes we've got a Dawes over there somewhere" category. Having said that there is one shop that is clearly run by a roadie, I'll ask next time I'm over that way.
I think I will also put a wanted ad on here and see what happens.

GazK":2zxdb62l said:
As part of my Raleigh Gran Sport rebuild I'm looking for campy hubs. I notice a fair few of them on ebay have Italian threading. If I bought one of these would I be able to get a corresponding 6 speed freewheel easily (and cheaply!) or should I limit myself to english threading?
An Italian freewheel thread has the same pitch as BSC, but is 0.2mm larger in diameter. If you don't mind using a little force, a BSC freewheel will go onto an Italian hub, modifying the thread as it goes. You then have a BSC hub. A little brutal perhaps, but it works. Many older Italian hubs sold in the UK will have been used with BSC freewheels at some point in their life - often in ignorance.

It's obviously nicer to keep everything matching, but unless the hub is NOS it's just as safe - and maybe safer - to go with a BSC freewheel.

Hi,

Italian thread freewheels are available, but you'll also find there are a lot of unmarked freewheels.

Recently I was shopping for a NOS Regina, Italian thread. My first port of call was Nigel at Campyoldy. He has a batch of Reginas, sourced in Italy that are unmarked.

I've a couple of Regina Americas that came in tins with the thread type included on a sticker - they all seem to be ISO. I've also an unmarked Everest.

Talking it through with Nigel, his view was that perhaps they were manufactured deliberately to less exacting tolerances to accommodate the similar, but not exact British and Italian threads. I'm not an expert, but I wonder if a lot of these unmarked Reginas, Everest freewheels are not in fact ISO.

A few weeks back I tested the new, unmarked Regina on British and Italian thread Campag Record hubs. It went on, and came off both very easily, so I was happy that nothing was going to break!

Campagnolo freewheels are clearly marked with their thread type.

Back