Pendle Witches 2013

Goldie":210j7z1g said:
That run down from the top of Nick O'Pendle towards Clitheroe was terrifying wasn't it? Freezing fog, with trees, dry stone walls, barbed wire fences and in my case, a Mercedes G-Wagen looming out of the murk...

It were great! Never touched me brakes at all.

Looking back, I don't know now whether it was experience, superb bike handling ability - or sheer stupidity :? :shock:

Stuck my entrance form in the post this morning. Should have enough time to get down to my climbing weight...
Mark if you get stuck for getting across let me know. I'm in Leeds so we can sort something out.

I really don't get the point of organising an event on Easter Sunday... they'll have to do without me and my Sannino for another year

I have read it is a good event, but they really should be brave and limit entries to period bikes only if they want to compete with events in the continent.

The French "Anjou Vintage Velo" has reached 1500 entrants on year 2... there is a big potential for these vintage rides

ugo.santalucia":3pxj63dq said:
...they really should be brave and limit entries to period bikes only if they want to compete with events in the continent...

I don't think the organiser is trying to do much other than raise as much money for the local hospice...and he has a penchant for vintage bikes. Hence, an open entry criteria suits him and the hospice. I did find it a bit strange last year when the very modern machines massively outweighed the older bikes (or perhaps it was the opposite :) ), after all one might ask why would someone be attracted to a 'vintage ride' and yet turn up on a 2011 Focus with di2? However, it probably goes to show that you don't need to have an older bike to enjoy riding with others on a fantastic route with great food, organisation and lovely helpers...with several great old bikes thrown into the bargain, along with an excellent historic display at the HQ.

I'll be there (all being well), my only worry will be whether there will be any easter eggs left in the house by the time I get home to my wife and 2 daughters!

It's weird, but even though I know there were loads of new bikes on the run, I don't remember them at all - with the exception of the brand new - and very beautiful Holdsworth Professional that I met at the top of the climb before Sabden, and a Ribble Gran Fondo that I couldn't stay in front of towards the end, it's the vintage stuff that populates my memory of the event.

I have subconsciously edited it into an entirely vintage ride :D

Vintage Velo

Signed up a while ago. Will hav to email them and let them know of change of bike. It was inevitable once i entered that it would cost me a new old bike. Raleigh Gran Sport 1982

Attachments

• DSC_0001b.jpg
    DSC_0001b.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 343
Pendleton witches

Couldn't possibly subject my precious vintage ride to what will probably be typical British Easter weather......

Re: Vintage Velo

RichardKnaresborough":3qbbhmrg said:
Signed up a while ago. Will hav to email them and let them know of change of bike. It was inevitable once i entered that it would cost me a new old bike. Raleigh Gran Sport 1982

That's a good looking machine. Got any more pictures?

82 Raleigh Gran Sport

Currently away with a bike mechanic having new cables etc. Will take and post some more pics on the return. Have ordered correct 531C badges too.

Entries are up - I'm particularly looking forward to seeing:

"146 Neil Burnham Elswick Hopper 3 Speed 1955 Cheshire" - 3 speeds! Arrrrgh! Legs hurting just thinking about it...

And:

"109 Robert Nolan Higgins Trike Liverpool"

Vintage seems to be outnumbering modern this year. :D

Back