RetroMTB Ride Hull & Bygone Byke Jumble Aftermath

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
A big thanks to you all for turning up and I hope you all enjoyed the ride despite the huge amounts of mud, surface water and rapidly deteriorating weather.
As always there was a nice selection of bikes and I am really impressed with Matthews retro mod Orange.
Hats off to Marc for riding that Activator round and managing to end the ride with the bike and himself in one piece :shock:
Shame we didn't have the time or energy to complete the planned route as we missed some really fun bits out at the end but in those conditions I think 18.2 miles and 1832 feet of climbing was plenty.

No pics from me as I left my camera at home but I think Ben took plenty.

Link to Strava Gps log here - http://app.strava.com/rides/26308908

Was a really good ride, ive been sat with my dad for nearly an hour fishing thorns out of my arm and my right knee (damned talent, where were you when i needed you lol) and im thoroughly worn out and ache all over, enjoyed it though, big wakeup call as i knew i was out of shape, but damn!!

As the good man said, another great ride, great bikes and great bunch of guys just out to have a good laugh with a bike ride thrown in for good measure.

My left hand was usable for the first time in about seven weeks and I was chuffed to bits to be back out on the bike again. More than enough standing jokes were made about my 'Maxing It Out' in the Hope car park before the Peaks ride. I rode my Specialized FSR-XC for the first time in anger today and I have to say I was actually impressed. I found myself enjoying the experience, which I didn't expect. It's noticeable easier on my 42 year old bones and did very well on some of the wet root downhill sections, I'd recommend one as a cheap, sub £500 full suspension bike. It's been sat in the shed for years having not been splattered in mud and believe me, it got exactly that today.

The jumble was good, nothing there for me but I know Spudly came away with a Klein frame for a little over 99p. SLMRacing bought some garish cable outers but I think we have come to expect such things from him. I bought a piece of fruitcake, which kinda sums most of us up for even turning out after the recent downpours.

All in all another great day out in Easy Yorkshire thanks to Chris and Ben. Keep it up guys, I'm sure I'm not alone in thanking you for your efforts.

Just a note, if you ever get the chance to buy some cycling clothing from ALDI snap it up sharpish, I had on a full kit of ALDI bikewear today and it performed very well indeed, the jacket, trouser and glove set are great and kept me warm and dry on a cold and wet day.

Bike of the ride should go to kingoffootball in my opinion. Hat's off to him I say, what a great and interesting steed.

Anyhoo.. now to my pictures, only a few from me today, the rain kept my camera in my bag for the better part of the ride:

GEDC1655.jpg

GEDC1656.jpg

GEDC1657.jpg

GEDC1658.jpg

GEDC1659.jpg

GEDC1660.jpg

GEDC1661.jpg

GEDC1662.jpg

GEDC1663.jpg

GEDC1664.jpg

GEDC1665.jpg

cheers chrisv40 and fluffychicken for the guidance round these parts. some hard work we got through today in weird conditions even for late october, give yourselves a pat on the back and crack open a beer!

Plenty of mud tilled over today and a chilly slap in the face from mama nature.

The jumble as always yielded some bargains and i came away smiling with all my junk. they should put it on monthly not annually. :cool:

big thanks to AndyB, chris, trebz, slmracing and anybody else that got me out of the 'crap' with my puncture situation. stupid nutted hubs are gonna be scrapped with gusto! apart from that, the activator did ok. i soon learned to ignore the awkward geometry, poor handling, twitchy rear-end, ineffective brakes, skipping gears, rock-hard saddle. apart from that i was ok ;)

i came back moaning of cold and muddy legs, but somehow pleased i made the effort to get up today.

hope to see you all soon!

PICT0037-4.jpg

PICT0040-2.jpg

PICT0041-3.jpg

tsss.....wish i could have left it there without getting fined for fly-tipping. :)

PICT0044-2.jpg

PICT0046-3.jpg

PICT0038-4.jpg

PICT0039-2.jpg

Cheers guys for a good day out , had bath, wine and curry so feeling human again, interesting conditions but apart from the hole in the sidewall the E3 survived and I was well happy with the way it rode.
Hopefully will see you all at New Miller Dam (if it's on the Sunday ).
Could not believe how many hills there were in a supposedly flatish part of East Yorkshire and I'm sure we went up all of them. Had to hose most of my clothes off in the street before I dare give them to Kathryn to go in the washing machine but it was worth it .
Matthew

Matthews, nope there are more like that is we kept going, north and not hitting the road.
Luckily we went right at the 'lunch stop' and not left. Walking up that bit rips your calves apart in the wet. Let alone riding it. It is possible to ride, but on a good dry sunny, full of fuel day, lol.
There is a nice ~30mile round trip I've never managed to do. Next year in the dry I might get it done.

My pics are up, but since the water did it's best to stop it and stop the protective shutter from closing, focusing wasn't it's best point. and it's didn't like the rapid shots in the woods :(

It was a great ride, I really enjoyed it. Thanks to Chris and Ben for organising it.

The Peugeot was quite hard work at times (a poor workman .. etc.) but I was really glad I brought it. I think it coped pretty well, considering I'd not really checked the setup, just thrown it together.

Some good pics there.

I'm really glad I slacked off my studying to spend most the day out riding. I'm looking forward to making it out for another ride soon.

looks like i missed a muddy one!

really want to meet up with you all again, its been nearly a year i think. really appreciate the invites chris and ben and feel really bad having to say no all the time

Back