Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Specs, details and better pictures to follow. For now, just this:

80s+Frame+and+Forks.JPG

To this:

1989+Industrial+Peugeot+531+Scorpion+%28smaller%29.jpg

That's awesome! such a funky build!. Where did you get your inspiration for this? more importantly, how does it ride? (Love the position of the shifters too :cool:).

Thanks for the comments.

Seat post: I'll have to check the make, I know it's german-made and I picked it up off ebay unused with 4 shims for next to nothing. I took the gaiter off it to fit in with the look of the bike. It's got adjustable oil/gas damping and seemed pretty good on yesterday's ride.

Inspiration: Having bought the frame on impulse because it was local and I wanted to work out what it was, I was inspired by some Tioga bars I had lying around which were on my '91 Karakoram when I bought it. I don't usually use risers, but I liked the coppery colour of them, which led me to think it would be good to try a build where everything possible was metal-coloured. Originally, I was thinking of trying to make it steampunk-inspired, but the craziness that would have led to would probably have led to a less practical bike, so it shifted to the more industrial-style.

Ride: I took it for the first time yesterday for the Hull & Bygone Byke Jumble ride:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227380

and considering I'd not even so much as sat on it to check the saddle was the right height before that, let alone tested and tuned anything else I think it did pretty well!

It felt pretty good, though the riding position is a lot more upright than my other bikes and the saddle definitely needs to go back a bit as I didn't appreciate quite how much extra effort is required (or at least using different muscles) just from the seat being further forward.

I still need to sort out the gears, as the chain came off a few times and lodged itself between the middle and granny rings. It was doing this before (on the workstand) and a new middle ring has improved it, but it's still doing it occasionally.

The saddle and seat post took some getting used to, with different feedback, but they were very comfortable.

The headset came a little loose during the ride, so I'll sort that out too.

Overall, it was harder work, but I really enjoyed it.

I'll be interested to see how well the rust inhibitor I used on the forks is working too.

Also, I need to look at the u-brake - probably need to change the original pads.

I love u-brakes, and the ones on my other bikes stop brilliantly, but this one wouldn't even lock up the bake wheel downhill in the mud of yesterday. I'm guessing a change of pads will made the world of difference, since the ones on there (and on the front) are the originals from 1989.

I had wondered if it was a suspension post along those lines and typically German aesthetics truly industrial ;) :D

I like this build, something different, especially with those bars. Your colour scheme has worked particularly well, and really suits the bike as a whole. Hope your legs recover soon!

Back