Inertia Creeps

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Yesterday was a beautiful day in Herefordshire, chilly with a strong wind but bright sunshine and dry, clean roads. A smashing day to go riding. But I procrastinated around the house, raked leaves, tidied my sock drawer. Not to worry though, there's always Sunday particularly following the extra hour in bed after the clocks went back. But here I find myself, in front of the computer and uninspired about getting in the saddle - what gives? I know that I will enjoy it (well, as much as I ever enjoy cycling) but I really can't be arsed. And that worries me a bit, particularly as it has been sneaking up on me for a while.

So why the ennui? Thoughts that occur easily include:
(i) too much cycling variety over too short a period (Italian Alps, 3 Peaks Cyclocross, l'eroica all within 5 weeks) has left me feeling jaded.
(ii) late onset middle aged crisis. But I don't find myself hankering after a red sports car, a ponytail and a 21 year old blonde. So thinking it's not that.
(iii) old skool laziness. This feels like it might be it.

I have tried to give myself a talking to but I ended up sounding like a crazy person. Who was a bit lazy. I've also contemplated 'tough love'. This involved compiling 'for sale' ads for a dozen bikes. But I couldn't even be arsed to post those up.

I need help. And more than ever. I therefore throw it open to the collected wisdom (sic) - what solutions are there when inertia creeps?

On yer bike,even if it's just a short ride,even if you hate it and go home early ,you'll get back feelin better,probably.

I find myself in this position quite a lot, the best way I've found to combat it is to organise or get involved with group rides, left to my own devices I have to be very motivated to ride the trails on my own.

buy a hi-fi and listen to music until March. Be careful to not gain any weight. Then refreshed and looking forward to jumping on the bike like a spring rabbit
Winter is a 'fu*ker of a season.

Amphetamines, coke, EPO for when youre out there, alcohol, caffeine....there is loads of choice.

It sounds to me Ed like you need a couple of weeks away from the bikes drinking lots of Guinness and eating lots of pizza. You should then be perfectly prepared for Nov 17th and in a similar shape to myself :)

Take a break and chill your beans....you'll be back and fired up quicker than you think.

I explain my laziness away as 'seasonal dissorder' bought on by the inclement weather.
This works for 12 months of the year in Wales as its always lashing down :LOL: :LOL:

I suggest you plan a christmas shopping trip :shock: , that should see you out on the road in no time :D

What a load of self-indulgent shit. My original post, rather than the advice that is. After tidying the garden of leaves this afternoon (12 large bags worth), I realised that, to cliche and mis-paraphrase, an unenjoyable day on the bike is much better than a day mopping around like a spoilt brat. There is something to online counselling after all.

That said, looking at the shed, I do need to sell a few bikes.

Back