Hydraulic Disc Brake Recomendations...

I was trying to convey the fact that I had lost faith in Hope brakes...I loved my old E4's, but the replacements were pants, hence my move to other brands such as Shimano and Formula.

I also don't like the machined finish because to me it looks dated, I think Formula make some of the best looking brakes. The Shimano brake levers are pig ugly but the ergonomics are great, the blade feels perfect and they work pretty damn well too.

This thread is worthless without pictures

85333.jpg

Mindmap3":dyq124uz said:
I also don't like the machined finish because to me it looks dated, I think Formula make some of the best looking brakes.

This is Retrobike! Most of us love dated-looking stuff :D :D :D

dbmtb":3rjpxhhx said:
Mindmap3":3rjpxhhx said:
I also don't like the machined finish because to me it looks dated, I think Formula make some of the best looking brakes.

This is Retrobike! Most of us love dated-looking stuff :D :D :D

I get that, but they're not retro brakes and the lever is still clumpy and bulky compared other brakes.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one!

I think I'll add my bit here, I had 2 sets of Elixiers, 5 's I bought second hand , fitted to an old 2001 Stumpy HT and they were great, sold them on at a profit when I got my newer and more importantly bigger 2009 Stumpy HT (2nd hand of course) and it's fitted with Elixier RSL's , brilliant again and work superb, only gripe is the rear's sometimes noisy (185) but I think thats down to the disc, at some point I'll fit a new disc and see if that cures it.
Matthew

Alex Creasey":dhnaqzl8 said:
Really interesting views..... Went a bit off piste in the end and managed to find a full set of Magura MT6's for £260.00. Looking forward to trying them! :cool:

Let us know how they turn out, running Marta's on all my bikes and can't think of better brakes. Interested to hear how the MT series perform.

Ditto on the Magura's, had my eye on the MT's but they are bit pricey to experiment with.

As for the earlier discussion on Hope brakes. I am a bit of a clyde and have no issues with power of older M4's and newer Tech X2's. And the modulation is up with the best of the rest.

I do have gripe with the width that the Tech lever builds. I like my levers set up for 1 (index) finger braking. But I use swept or Alt bars like Ritchey 10D and Ragley Carnegie's too. And those bars simply do not have room to mount the Tech levers far enough inboard to achieve the optimal set-up. No such Issues with Avid's and R1's.

Enjoy!!

yo-eddy":3joteju8 said:
Alex Creasey":3joteju8 said:
Really interesting views..... Went a bit off piste in the end and managed to find a full set of Magura MT6's for £260.00. Looking forward to trying them! :cool:

Let us know how they turn out, running Marta's on all my bikes and can't think of better brakes. Interested to hear how the MT series perform.

Will do :cool:. I've not had a chance to fit them with work etc but hopefully will get them on and in use in the next week or so. I've got quite long fingers and really liked that the MT's have a thick lever so already a plus point for me :)

Back