Ti Raleigh 753. Belgian garage find.

cyclingscrap

Retro Newbie
Hi folks,
I thought you might like to see what I brought back from Belgium recently.
It has SB 1885 stamped on the bracket and is a 58 size.
It has a Campagnolo transfer on both sides of the top tube just in front of the seat cluster.
The 753 sticker has diagonal numbers.
The paint seems to have no primer or clear coat.
Drop outs are drilled where the QR clamps.
Any ideas on age please?
I was told some history (possibly more story than history!) but I would love to know what your collective thoughts are about this one.
Pretty sure none of the components are original, though the wheels have Record hubs and Special Service des Courses stickers and the large white Mavic lettering.
Many thanks,
Rob.

Attachments

• Ti Raleigh.png
    Ti Raleigh.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 3,714
Would have been sold as a frame only. that frame number is likely about 1976. Somewhere on the web is a list of frame numbers with approximate dates.

Nice find :D

Shaun

Welcome

Welcome :)
Looks nice from what I can see but bigger pics would be more than welcome ;)
There are quite a few clued up Raliegh people on here that I am sure will either set you straight or confuse you ;)
I would also like to here the story you've been told regarding its history and also a bit about howm you came across such a nice barn find. For me, I love hearing about the individual history of these bikes.
Cheers
Jamie

cyclingscrap":2huuuquv said:
Hi folks,
I thought you might like to see what I brought back from Belgium recently.
It has SB 1885 stamped on the bracket and is a 58 size.
It has a Campagnolo transfer on both sides of the top tube just in front of the seat cluster.
The 753 sticker has diagonal numbers.
The paint seems to have no primer or clear coat.
Drop outs are drilled where the QR clamps.
Any ideas on age please?
I was told some history (possibly more story than history!) but I would love to know what your collective thoughts are about this one.
Pretty sure none of the components are original, though the wheels have Record hubs and Special Service des Courses stickers and the large white Mavic lettering.
Many thanks,
Rob.

Hi Rob

Very nice bike. I've just had a look at the TI Team Pro database and your frame number dates to 1977. Similar frames on the database in '77 range from SB1162 to SB2222. I have one from 1980 which is SB4059.

Typically these have Super Record components and Mavic SSC rims (Special Service des Course with large white MAVIC lettering).

The paint sounds original - very thin with no coating over the transfers. The 753 transfer with sloping numbers shows that it is an early metric 753 which is correct for that date.

Nice bike!

Thanks for the replies and sorry about the photo size!
I'm better at finding bikes than using a computer.....
I am going to try to add some more and better photo's over the weekend but have attached the Campagnolo sticker shot for you to see.
The chap I got this from insisted that it was from the team and not the one you could buy. Any way of checking? There are no other marks or stamps that could prove anything just the Campagnolo sticker and the 'non retail' style paint job. ;)

Rob.

Attachments

• Campy sticker.png
    Campy sticker.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 3,658
cyclingscrap":huqwvkzw said:
I am going to try to add some more and better photo's over the weekend but have attached the Campagnolo sticker shot for you to see.
The chap I got this from insisted that it was from the team and not the one you could buy. Any way of checking? There are no other marks or stamps that could prove anything just the Campagnolo sticker and the 'non retail' style paint job. ;)

Rob.

Hi Rob

If it has the 'SB' number then it is a stock frame built at the ilkeston factory. It will have the SB number on one side of the shell and the frame size on the other. These are the frames that were built and sold to the general public. Team rider frames had the rider initials and the numbers indicating which frame from a certain year it was e.g. HL 2-77

originalshinkicker":24q2476u said:
cyclingscrap":24q2476u said:

Rob.

Hi Rob

If it has the 'SB' number then it is a stock frame built at the ilkeston factory. It will have the SB number on one side of the shell and the frame size on the other. These are the frames that were built and sold to the general public. Team rider frames had the rider initials and the numbers indicating which frame from a certain year it was e.g. HL 2-77

No such thing as a"stock"frame.
The TI-Raleigh paint scheme (along with Raleigh/Weinmann) was widely promoted by the SBDU as late as 1985 when I ordered my frameset from Ilkeston.
Nothing special about the Campagnolo transfer - I have an identical one on my tool box, and half a dozen new ones in my collection of transfers.
The Service Des Courses frameset is one of a few"styles available from the SBDU.
Genuine team frames (being those built for a team member) will have an identifier on the bracket shell - although mine is not a team frame I requested a unique"identifier"on my frame.

Roadking.

roadking":3cvohwf4 said:
originalshinkicker":3cvohwf4 said:
cyclingscrap":3cvohwf4 said:

Rob.

Hi Rob

No such thing as a"stock"frame.
The TI-Raleigh paint scheme (along with Raleigh/Weinmann) was widely promoted by the SBDU as late as 1985 when I ordered my frameset from Ilkeston.
Nothing special about the Campagnolo transfer - I have an identical one on my tool box, and half a dozen new ones in my collection of transfers.
The Service Des Courses frameset is one of a few"styles available from the SBDU.
Genuine team frames (being those built for a team member) will have an identifier on the bracket shell - although mine is not a team frame I requested a unique"identifier"on my frame.

Roadking.

Hi Roadking

The word "Stock" comes directly from the mouth of Mike Mullett who was the workshop manager for GOD at Ilkeston. 80% of the frames produced at Ilkeston were "stock" frames built to generic sizes and angles. Joe Public could spec a frame outside of these stock sizes and these were typically identified with an SB number and a second reference starting with an 'H' signifying a customers build. Therefore the majority of Ilkeston production was "Stock"

Guys, thanks for the answers.
I'm not too fussed if it's 'stock' or not it's just amazing to think that Raleigh could flog what must have been a very expensive bike with next to no paint on it!
Another photo should be attached, fingers crossed.

Rob

Attachments

• 104 (768x1024).jpg
    104 (768x1024).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3,627
I went to Ilkeston late in 1985 when I ordered my frameset from GOD (I was introduced to him by the Raleigh Board). Stock is a misleading term: frames were built in generic sizes but not for stock (this doesn't mean shops did not order these generic sizes for stock). All Ilkeston frames have an SB prefix to the frame number.

I have a (super rare) SBDU catalogue that details all the (generic) sizes the various framesets were available in.

The SBDU was a low volume operation building between 800 - 1000 frames a year.

MM was GODs right hand man for sometime, he then left and for a while built frames under his own name.

Roadking.

Back