Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Here is my Peugeot from 1989 .

frame and forks are Columbus SLX .

the Peugeot catalogue dont have a model in SLX , but a similar paint scheme in Reynolds 753 .

There is no name on the frame , but some numbers on the lugs .

I have tried to keep the build end of 80s , early 90s .

Frame and forks : columbus SLX
stem and bars : 3TTT
Brakes levers : Modolo
Brake calipers : Mavic / modolo
chainset : Stronglight Delta
front and rear mech : Mavic
shifters : Simplex .
Pedals : Look
wheels : Mavic GP4 , Mavic 501 hubs , Vittoria tubs ( modern ) ,
Freewheel : Maillard
saddle : Flite
seat post : no idea
chain : KMC

total weight is 10.5kg .

The bar tape and saddle have been homemade . They are from leather used for some haute couture company in france . not sure how it will cope with being used on a bike . if it copes ok , I will redo it better after the winter .

The seat post needs changing asap , but it is surprisingly hard to find a good seat post from that era at a good price .

The tubs are modern as I intend to use the bike regularly .

The freewheel will be replaced by a 7 or 8 speed one .

The rings on the chainset will be replaced by the proper carbon looking Stronglight Delta .

I also have a matching Mavic chainset , but the left hand crank is cracked .

Shoes are Carnac .

Cant wait to ride it .

Attachments

• 087 small.jpg
    087 small.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,976
  • 088 small.jpg
    088 small.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,975
  • 089 small.jpg
    089 small.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,974
thanks , to be honest , a bit disapointed with the levers . they feel very plastic , will swap them when i find something better .

Columbus Pugs

Nice bike (and shoes!). I remember seeing a few of these back in the day - not very common though. Loving the Mavic rear mech!!

I've just fitted the modolo levers, and routed the cables under the bar tapes like yours. They feel so much better than the original sloppy weinmanns i had! I kinda like the plastic feel, its not cold to touch (i do alot of night riding, brrr!). I'm quite happy for the money, i wasnt sure what else would fit and not many modern ones would suit my bike styling.

That's a very handsome machine Chris, the late 80s / early 90s Peugot colorway is a classic :)

The modolo levers are ok actually, run them on the Merckx for years. Agree they don't scream quality.

Is the bar tape just a long strip of leather?

thanks for the comments .

i bought the frame and forks for £90 a few years ago .

the bar tape is made of 2 strips of leather . it is horse leather , so quite thick .

only took it for a quick spin and it feels great .

when ( if ) , the weather gets better , will take it for a longer ride next week .

Nice 70km ride this morning .

need to improve position a little bit , mainly hoods .

and 6 gears freewheel is not enough, especially when the last two dont work properly .

this was my first road ride in ages ( 5 or 6 years ) .

loved the tubs .

Nice Pug... to be honest change the bar tape and the saddle its letting the ride down....... guarantee you enjoy it more

Back