Cleats (old type) / Shoe Plates and shoes

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Good evening all,

Tonight's query revolves around cleats.

Is it possible to purchase cleats for 'old' pedals? My old shoes have a vertical slot in the cleat which sits in the edge of the pedal and then the shoe is secured in in a toeclip with a strap.

I have looked at a few sites but can't seem to find anything similar - what do track racers currently use?

Obviously, i presume if these cleats are available, matching shoes are too.

This query relates to my pondering about revamping my old Raleigh.

Thanks for reading, and pointers are appreciated.

Shaun,

That is close to what i mean, i currently have Sidi shoes with a plastic 'plate' but the are very worn - the link seems to be something which is even older! Although, that is the style of plate i am looking for - preferably without nails - mine screwed in.

Thanks for the advice.

They're shoe plates!

The nail on type were for all-leather shoes, but by the 80s plastic soles were common and they usually came with screw on adjustable shoe plates.

"Cleats" are what fits into clipless pedals.

Track riders are no different from road riders, they use modern clipless pedals and shoes, but they might also add a toestrap for extra security.

Fiks,

Any ideas if it is possible to buy the shoe plates and shoes nowadays?

Thanks for the reply

Most shoe manufacturers in the later 'shoeplates included' era had their own dedicated design of shoeplate and, outside of jumbles and possibly e-bay, it can be difficult to buy specific variants. Shoes do come up for sale here and on e-bay, generally with plates. They can often be found at jumbles too.

In view of the responses, can i take it that nowadays no-one uses shoe plates and, even on a retrobike, it is acceptable to use new pedals and cleats?

Thanks

NB This is messing up my plan!!!!

Are you saying that your old shoes don't fit anymore and you want some new shoes ? or has somethiong worn / broken?

Shaun

Back