First drive review: Volkswagen Kombi

Not enough land... most ethanol in brazil is produced from sugar
That, and I don't think the powerful petrochemical industry would approve

G

this bit is brilliant....

If you want to view it objectively, it is terrible to drive: the steering feels completed disconnected from the wheels, the gearbox is more a random number generator than a precise mechanical link you feel in control of, and when driven without any weight in the back it feels inherently unstable when confronted with the tiniest of bends.

Despite what that article says, you can buy them in the UK -- Danbury sell them converted to campers, and last time I looked they'd sell you an unconverted one too. Crazy money, though -- I think a plain van was about £15,000 and campers started at £25k.

They're also made of tinfoil and rust like crazy -- there's an '07 reg one down the road from me that's in worse shape than some unrestored thirty year old ones I've seen...

Vans

I looked into it to replace my old van but the prices are crazy. I was looking at a basic model, the people carrier type to convert myself.The starting price was around £19k but all options jacked the price up incredibly, they come basic with no sealing or rust treatment, underseal etc, not even a stereo. Once I put the basics on it so it would last it was coming in around £23k minimum.
Better off keeping my old one ;)

Jamie

Back