Going tubeless, advice sought.

carter711

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I'm not a complete stranger to tubeless, I have a pair of ZTR flows that run happily tubless.

I have just bought a pair of Sun Singletrack wheels that I want to make tubless. They are drilled for Schrader valves (car type).

I know I can use the yellow rim tape to cover the spoke holes, the rubber rim strips with the valves to make 99% airtight and then a bit of sealant liquid to seal the whole lot when the tyre is on

I want to know if I can use only the liquid stuff with the yellow rim tape and these
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=598

It be better as it'd be lighter and quite a bit cheaper.

If anyone can shine some light on this I'd be all ears!

You have probably read this but it is what Stans states

Why use our rim strip on tubeless rims? Without our rim strips, mounting a standard tyre on a tubeless rim creates a poor interface, making it easier to burp air. Using our molded rim strips in tubeless rims creates a much stronger interface with the tyre and rim. The interfacing is so strong there is no air loss even when a C-clamp has the tyre totally compressed. The side walls are touching and the bead lock is completely exposed! Try this with your tubeless system!

It sounds like it might work but there will be a poor bead which could come away and lose air on a hard hit? Other than that I too would be interested as I am contemplating tubeless on my Fisher :)

I use just the yellow rim strip and sealant, with Bonty Tubeless ready tyres. There is one particular jump where most of my rides seem to converge, where the landing is off camber, and 1.8" rear tyres always seem to fart there. Wider tyres don't.

Get a couple of cheap tubes with fully threaded schraeder valves in and cut out the valve (leaving a flange of rubber), the presta's are too small to fit/seal on a shraeder hole, I've been using gorilla tape instead of the fancy yellow stuff with great success for a while now.

That's a great help, and the great thing is I have a couple of continental threaded schrader inter tubes kicking about at home and the gorilla tape is only a few quid off eBay!

Back