1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

Thanks for that John,
I always formed the opinion that what put alot of people off Marins is that you could always seem to buy a same spec bike from a different manufacture for less money, most people always thought them over priced !?
I
This now must be a rare bike tho ,as someone else said very few was sold as a complete bike ,plus cant find one pic or bit of info anywhere online :(

Few more pics ,i put some better tyres on her to day,i think these pics on this thread that are mine on the retroBike forum,are the only ones of a Marin team downhill 1998 on the net :eek:
Picture106.jpg

Picture105.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Picture103.jpg

jamabikes":1tur3hy9 said:
like it :cool:

are the tyres the tioga copies hellfrauds sell? if so how do they ride if you've tested em yet?
Your right mate thats where i got them,dont know if they are copied or not !?

It did have the originals on there but they had perished with the passage of time ,so i put some continentals on there but took them off and changed them for these slightly bigger(26x2.3 ) puncher resistant ones,they cost 25 quid each but it was three for two so i got a spare in me shed :D
It rides real good on them,but i ent had time to really go anywhere on it yet,looks good tho :)

Tracking information down anything about this bike seems to be near impossible ,dont anyone know ho to go about finding out anything about it or where to find a catalogue from that year ?
Would Marin have any info about it ?

A company called ATB Sales is the people you need to speak to, they're the importers/distributors in the UK and used to run the UK DH Team on the bikes of this era, as ridden by James Allaway, Dave Hemming and Stefan Gleed.

Had the same bike briefly with single crowns, but mine was labelled DH FRS. I have pics somewhere if you search readers bike 1998+

Sold mine on again as it was purchased on a whim, but I would like another if I could find it cheap enough. Mine had the original shockworks rear shock which was pretty basic, and factoring in a new shock and disc brakes (and therefore wheels) I thought it not really feasible for a cheap project.

Yours looks real nice though.

coomber":2n9dstsx said:
Had the same bike briefly with single crowns, but mine was labelled DH FRS. I have pics somewhere if you search readers bike 1998+

Sold mine on again as it was purchased on a whim, but I would like another if I could find it cheap enough. Mine had the original shockworks rear shock which was pretty basic, and factoring in a new shock and disc brakes (and therefore wheels) I thought it not really feasible for a cheap project.

Yours looks real nice though.
I have seen your bike thread as its one of a few threads out there regarding the frame that you had , from what i can gather tho what you had was the frame only they offered so people who wanted to race could build one up on a budget/spec they wanted .
The team DH however was different beast , a factory built race bike that had all the top end spec,hope big un hubs front and rear with mavic 521 D rims ,hope disc brakes front and rear,full xt,proper usa white industries cranks,crank chain guard mech/wheels,Triple clamp forks that cost 1300 quid alone,i was told by someone that very few was imported as a full team bike because of the cost ,anyhow i knew most of this from memory as i had one ,but what i am after is some original marin catalogue pics or press releases ?
I wouldnt sell this now ,i have did not think i would ever see another one again,especially as mint as this ether ,i was lucky to get it and it was cheap as i think it world break to more than the 260 i gave for her :)

retrocomeback":1c19z6qe said:
A company called ATB Sales is the people you need to speak to, they're the importers/distributors in the UK and used to run the UK DH Team on the bikes of this era, as ridden by James Allaway, Dave Hemming and Stefan Gleed.
ATB came through ,Debbie over there sent me this pic via he i-phone for the time being but later shes gonna scan it properly for me and email me it ,whic was nice of me thinks :cool:

photo1.jpg

The brake bosses really bug me. It's their top of the range DH team bike, and is running discs. Why would they need the v brake bosses? And if leaving them on, why not use blanking bolts to stop them looking so ugly?

Back