Gobbing whilst on club-runs ?

JeRkY":1zlmqbym said:
And there is a reason Mr. Kleenex became a household name.

dislike spitting, I think in almost all cases it is unnecessary. I'll leave it to the shell suit wearing special brew drinking types that leave our streets carpeted in a lovely slick film of diseased phlegm on a saturday night. Filthy bastards.

I guess I have never found myself in a situation on a bike where I feel it impossible to reach for a tissue should the moment require it.

I have been known to develop the urge to use a toilet whilst on a ride, I tend to pull over to do that too.

One usually call James the butler on the Hands Free to rondevu with the Range Rover which contains the portaloo all thats left to do is to wipe ones aaarse :LOL:

The Ken":23pd5dkn said:
I spit a fair bit when exercising, I don't know why it builds up so much, but there is far too much to swallow, might be to do with my asthma. I always try to be considerate when I do need to spit.

Snot is a separate issue and that is why I like gloves with a lot of towelling on the back. (I'm no good at snot rockets)

Being asthmatic too I find that in the first 15-30 minutes of a ride (or any exercise usually) that I have the need to get rid of a small amount of mucus from lungs, a cough, an aimed spit downwards to the side and it's gone, then I can breathe easier.

Snotters are expelled with a finger/thumb on each nostril in turn. But the drips remain to annoy, so like you a glove with towelling on back is the answer. ;)

As the clubrun captain at my club put it "If you really cared about me, you'd swallow, not spit." :shock: :) :D :LOL: ;)

Snotters are expelled with a finger/thumb on each nostril in turn. But the drips remain to annoy, so like you a glove with towelling on back is the answer.

You just have to wash the gloves every so often, when they start to get a bit "crunchy". :D

RobMac":pbhtngd7 said:
JeRkY":pbhtngd7 said:
And there is a reason Mr. Kleenex became a household name.

dislike spitting, I think in almost all cases it is unnecessary. I'll leave it to the shell suit wearing special brew drinking types that leave our streets carpeted in a lovely slick film of diseased phlegm on a saturday night. Filthy bastards.

I guess I have never found myself in a situation on a bike where I feel it impossible to reach for a tissue should the moment require it.

I have been known to develop the urge to use a toilet whilst on a ride, I tend to pull over to do that too.

One usually call James the butler on the Hands Free to rondevu with the Range Rover which contains the portaloo all thats left to do is to wipe ones aaarse :LOL:

WTF? Puzzled by the Range Rover stuff there.

Anyway, spitting is disgusting and if people are bringing up large amounts of gunk they probably shouldn't be riding in the first place. I swallow if necessary - never spit.

Mark.

daccordimark":2gd9lsnt said:
... and if people are bringing up large amounts of gunk they probably shouldn't be riding in the first place.

Mark.

Oh so cycling is now only the reserve of the completely fit? So I shouldn't be riding if I have a cold or asthma? What a pile of crap.

It is a bit of mucus, it may be even a green gob, but it is (or should be) spat into the gutter/grass and is totally biodegradable and natural. It is also natural to expel it through the nearest orifice too than to send it via your whole internal system out the other end.

The Ken":24likmvq said:
daccordimark":24likmvq said:
... and if people are bringing up large amounts of gunk they probably shouldn't be riding in the first place.

Mark.

Oh so cycling is now only the reserve of the completely fit? -Hasn't it always been? (I confess though, I'm far from completely fit most of the time - perhaps I should give it up)

So I shouldn't be riding if I have a cold or asthma? What a pile of crap. Correct! (don't know about the asthma, 20+ years since I had it, but I always rest a heavy cold)

It is a bit of mucus, it may be even a green gob, but it is (or should be) spat into the gutter/grass and is totally biodegradable and natural. It is also natural to expel it through the nearest orifice too than to send it via your whole internal system out the other end.

It might be natural and all that but I still don't want it spat out by the guy in front of me on a clubrun. Even if the big pile of gunk doesn't hit me the spray does and it is foul. There are plenty of things that are natural to the human body but over time we have developed rules/manners/etiquette, call it what you will, to keep offence to others to a minimum.

What riders do solo is their own business but on clubruns a bit of consideration goes a long way. Someone earlier made a good point that if people really need to spit it out then dropping to the back to do it seems a good idea.

Mark.

I'm an asthmatic smoker (I know:? ), and if I don't expel, and swallow, as suggested, I vomit it later, so better to just clear the pathways straight away.

I find spitting pretty disgusting generally but if it's necessary then so be it.

Nothing was asked about the quantity so assuming that anyone spitting while cycling is expelling large amounts is nonsense.
If one is that unwell to be producing copious amounts of green matter I doubt they'd be spinning the pedals.

Seen athletes on the telly spitting while engaged in their sport of choice, I dare say they aren't doing for pleasure but out of necessity. I also suspect they aren't unfit.

However.. consideration for the people around you is a must.

Back