1990 Marin Pine Mountain Restoration

Thought I'd put in a couple of hours this evening straight after work... so next up was a pair of the cantilevers.

Always looking for NOS replacements, but assuming the worst for now, I tried to tidy these ones up a bit...

cantis1.jpg

cantis2.jpg

cantis3.jpg

cantis4.jpg

That'll do me for this evening, I think.

By the way... I rang Zolatone in Michigan today, to find out what they had to say about the original paint that Marin used... As expected, they no longer make it. Haven't done for years. Their current product range has neither the same colour or same texture, so I can definitely close that avenue of enquiry, I reckon.

Will pop round my dad's tomorrow, as there a glimmer of hope :idea: that in the shed at the bottom of his garden I may still have the original bottles of touch up paint that came with the bike when I bought it from F W Evans in Woking all those years ago.

Of course, there wouldn't be anywhere near enough for a respray, but even the smallest amount could be used by a pro to recreate a quantity, I'm hoping. Having said that, confidence of finding those bottles is extremely low.

Cheers!

The forks are done... The head tube part is the original colour, the rest is what my mate has been able to create.

forks.jpg

The frame should be with me next week sometime.

:D

The forks look great! Have they done the bars/stem too?

Really looking forward to seeing the frame.

nevadasmith":3pwdcrkx said:
The forks look great! Have they done the bars/stem too?

Really looking forward to seeing the frame.

Yep, bars and stem done in the same colour.
I'm also am waiting for the frame with baited breath. :shock:

Great thread and write-up , i had one of these in the 90's , had it from brand new , looks like the same model . Good memories ..

Cheers for the kind words, guys.

Hopefully the next couple of weekends should see the whole project beginning to come together, with tons more pics and the final "reveal" of the attempted Zolatone recreation.

:mrgreen:

Just got off the phone to the guy, and he's planning to have the frame done this weekend.

You'll all be the first to know.

Back