Retro styled 2004 Kona Explosif

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Here's my 2K4 Explosif in 1996/1997 disguise, built for riding to work and back and ridden for the first time today.

Frame: 18" 2004 Kona Explosif, True Temper OX Platinum, sliding dropouts.
Fork: Rock Shox INDY-C (I know it should be an SL, but it was free)
Wheels: 1998/99ish Bontrager SuperStock/RACE, asymmetric rear rim & hub, radial front lacing, radial non-drive side rear lacing
Cranks: 1996 Shimano Deore XT, integrated spider (damnit) 42/34/22
Brakes 1997(ish) Avid 20 linear pulls (w/matching noodles and rubber thingys!)
Shifters/brake levers: Shimano Derore LX (Blue LX)
Rear Der. : Shimano Deore LX (Blue LX)
Front Der. : 1994 Shimano Deore LX (Black 'new' LX)
Seat: Vetta SL
Headset: FSA Orbit
Bars 1994 GT 3 degree bend flat bar.
Stem 1994 GT Flip Flop IV
Grips: Race Face Good & Evil
Tires: Bontrager Jones AC

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Sorry 'bout the crappy pix, the room is small and my wife currently has a 50mm fixed distance lens on her camera, also the clutter behind does not help!

This is a first build, I will probably add a Syncros post and Cattlehead when I canm and I do plan to run the bike with project 2s in it's final build, but I only have the P2s with disc tabs (no bosses) and I wanted to run the Avid 20s. I used Dura-Ace cable housing because the silver tones in well with the outline on the decals, the eventual theme will be Blue/Silver/Red, although i will probably keep the Black/Black/Black wheels cause they are cool looking and nicely laced.

So, is it retro or not? My all time favourite Explosif is the 1996 with the 1997 coming a close second, I think if you ignore the d-outs (and the ugly ''psuedopod' this passes pretty well as a late 90s bike.

Modern or not, that is such a nice frame! In fact I don't think you could get any more modern retro then that. A future classic in the making. Nice build... :D

I think this is a nice concept. I agree it's a bit of a pity about the decals, but there's nothing you can do about it, so don't worry. It looks great anyway.

My best tip to achieve a more retro look would be to turn the handlebars so that the bend is pointing down or just slightly backward of down. That was the usual position BITD and I remember it was recommended in the Kona owner's handbook back then.

I think the Indy is fine, albeit not very good, so a Judy XC or a Z2 would be best. I'm not sure about a Prpject 2 - the frame geometry is for a 456mm fork less 20mm sag = 436mm, whereas a P2 is 410mm long. So a P2 would give a head angle of 72.5 which is pretty quick/nervous - admittedly not impossibly so, but you might not like.

theboy":3405a4fg said:
lame, its a lame bike

;)
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That was a lunch spraying moment, I wondered if any Retrobikers were aware of my little 'disagreement' with Rumpfy.

I'm sure my retro/modern hybrid would provoke some interesting comments over on the MTBR VRC forums.

mechagouki":mulw3zlq said:
That was a lunch spraying moment, I wondered if any Retrobikers were aware of my little 'disagreement' with Rumpfy.

I'm not aware but I can take an educated guess based on previous posts! ;)

I quite like that, nice concept well done.

The Indy C though. Argh. You need something better - the frame deserves it!

John":2o6tnzd8 said:
I quite like that, nice concept well done.

The Indy C though. Argh. You need something better - the frame deserves it!

Thanks, I'm pleasantly surprised at the reception this bike has got, I guess a steel Explosif is somewhat classic whatever its D.O.B..

I couldn't agree more about the fork, it's a pig, heavy bouncy and flexy and far too low end, i have an INDY LT as well but it doesn't suit the bike and I also have one of those Marzocchis with the adjuster knobs on the front of the lowers and a brake cam on the arch, I believe it came off a Kona we had in the shop, but I couldn't tell you year or model, Anthony could probably tell us, but I'm thinking early 1990s mid-range (it's the one without the holes in the lower legs).

Anthony's info about the geometry changes that would be caused by the older P2s has given me food for thought, I have also considered the Bomber Z2 which was of course the fork that came on th 1997/98 Explosif and Hot, but they seem to be hard to find in good order.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back