bottle bosses - odd position?

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
evening all - i picked up an old TT frame (48cm or thereabouts) a few months that has a nasty paint-job and in retrospect is probably going to be too small.

It's 653 tubing and as you would expect very light. Whether I get this re-sprayed is something I haven't decided as yet.

To the question in hand- given the style of frame & the size, why has it got bottle bosses on the underside of the downtube? I've seen them located like this on trekking bikes etc. but on a TT bike?

Bottle bosses are located in the usual place as you would expect on the top-side of the downtube.

Any thoughts or knowledge of this?

If only one on the underside it could be for mounting CO2-cartridges. I have such on my 1990 Carbon/alu Miyata. If two, I'm clueless.

Interesting thoughts so far, and I don't discount any answer as I simply cant come up with anything with rhyme or reason.

There are two bosses spaced apart for a standard bottle cage.

They are located too close to the BB to allow for a standard cage / bottle to be installed, it would catch the chainring. If it was for an aero bottle then there is very little chance of reaching down and getting the bottle out, far too dangerous. It could just hold a bidon for storing something but not exactly aero and would add weight?

Perplexed....

Certainly in the 70's there wouldn't be any bosses for anything down there on a TT frame. There weren't even normal bosses for a bottle cage......Alf Engers never had then and the motto was "driest is fastest".

Picture would be helpful :)

Shaun

Judging by the purple/silver "chequered" paint job that looks very much like an Orbit/Sirius product (my America 531c had that colour scheme), if so the fitting is a puzzle as I don't recall Frank Clements offering any peculiar braze-ons for stock TT frames. CO2 pump as already mentioned is my best guess....as an alternative long shot, I don't think Mavic Zap electric derailleurs needed any special fitments for battery packs, did they?

David

The Mavic Zap! I'd forgotten about those. There is a brochure for the Zap on this site, it doesnt show the system installed though. However, there is a picture of some "apparatus" that isn't the usual component list and had to go somewhere?

How about this - it was a 'recycled' part - originally the tube was cut too short so they simply turned it over, installed the bosses in the correct position and built the frame from there? Just a thought.

And yes, good spot, the frame is a Sirius - that paint job was obviously etched onto your retina's as well - I think it has to go to the paint booth, I wouldn't like to be seen out on it! :oops:

Back