STI STYLE LEVERS-any brand/model/condition.Fight deck a plus

I'm starting this build from scratch, so all the drive gear will be different. Its a first for me; I've got everything except for the drive system (cranks/gears/shifters) so learning and using my wits as best as possible! Starting with the correct shifters then getting the right mechs (not got onto this yet...!)

My rear wheel actually came with a used Miche 9 speed cassette, but I'm not sure as to how worn it is. I was assuming I'd have to replace it. Not sure if its a campag or shimano fitting - does it matter which brand a cassette is as long as its the right number of cogs?

cheers.

DMZ":ytiffnk1 said:
I'm starting this build from scratch, so all the drive gear will be different. Its a first for me; I've got everything except for the drive system (cranks/gears/shifters) so learning and using my wits as best as possible! Starting with the correct shifters then getting the right mechs (not got onto this yet...!)

My rear wheel actually came with a used Miche 9 speed cassette, but I'm not sure as to how worn it is. I was assuming I'd have to replace it. Not sure if its a campag or shimano fitting - does it matter which brand a cassette is as long as its the right number of cogs?

cheers.

What brand is the rear hub? You could always try a new chain on the old cassette and see if it works? What make is your old chain?

AFAIK Miche cassettes are Campgnolo fitting (correct me someone!?) so you'd be looking for Campy Ergo shifters to make this work at the back, I think Ergos have friction up front though, so pretty much any front mech could be made to work (ideally with a cage to match the shape of the largest ring). There are threads on CRC forums about 'Shimergo' but that's a whole new kettle of peas.

If the Miche is actually Shimano fit, SRAM and Shimano cassettes are generally interchangeable.

Some good reading here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
(the 'Compatibility Among Brands' bit)

EDIT, quick way to check your cassette is whip it off and try it on one of your Shimano 8/9 speed hubs. If you can't get it off with usual Shimano lockring tool then it's bound to be Campy!?

I have 8x2 Shimano 105 (i think) jobbies back at my Parents house. I'd say £40 but I can't get to them for a few weeks.

I'll PM you in a few weeks when i'm back in Oxford on the offchance you still need them :)

I don't have the tools right now, but it has the 12 spline lockring by the looks of it. I might email the chap who I got the wheel off. I don't have the chain. The rear hub is Bianchi. I'd prefer to stay with my familiar Shimano...

I have not done this before, so what is the best way of getting a shimano 8 or 9 speed hyperglide onto something that may well previously have a campy cassette fitted? Change the freehub? If so, is there anything I need to watch out for compatibility wise, or do I just get a shimano freehub?

DMZ":2s0oycmw said:
I don't have the tools right now, but it has the 12 spline lockring by the looks of it. I might email the chap who I got the wheel off. I don't have the chain. The rear hub is Bianchi. I'd prefer to stay with my familiar Shimano...

I have not done this before, so what is the best way of getting a shimano 8 or 9 speed hyperglide onto something that may well previously have a campy cassette fitted? Change the freehub? If so, is there anything I need to watch out for compatibility wise, or do I just get a shimano freehub?

something like this?

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/components ... 9a9601195e

think you're entering into a minefield though,

But... 12 spline? So it might be Shimano?

I appreciate the advice very much, but I don't really understand how it is so difficult...maybe that's just me being a noob..isn't a freehub body an easy thing to swap? Just a case of screwing on a different one? And that looks very expensive..

Do they not make casettes that are spaced for Shimano shifters, but that slot onto a campy hub? The compatibility difficulties make no sense. It just seems like all the obvious things are not done...

Cassette spacer kit?

Worst comes to the worst I'll scrap that wheel and use it for the single speed project I got it for....and then source another rear (nuisance, took me ages to hunt down the wheels at the price I got them...)

DMZ":16tsvnia said:
I appreciate the advice very much, but I don't really understand how it is so difficult...maybe that's just me being a noob..isn't a freehub body an easy thing to swap? Just a case of screwing on a different one? And that looks very expensive..

Do they not make casettes that are spaced for Shimano shifters, but that slot onto a campy hub? The compatibility difficulties make no sense. It just seems like all the obvious things are not done...

Cassette spacer kit?

Worst comes to the worst I'll scrap that wheel and use it for the single speed project I got it for....and then source another rear (nuisance, took me ages to hunt down the wheels at the price I got them...)

know what you mean about compatibility... kinda like Apple & Windows?

getting out of my knowledge zone now... my experience with Campy is basic compared to Shimano

maybe time to start a new thread on this?

Just formulating a thread! ;) Thanks for your advice, its all being assimilated....I'm not passing up shifters that I like, shimano or no, I'll simply use what doesn't get used this time for another of my planned projects. Just trying to economise on actual outlay right now as I don't physically have enough money to double up on everything today even if I don't have to get it in the future!!

However I do have a load of mtb parts to sell which my redress the balance..

DMZ":24l4vjga said:
Just formulating a thread! ;) Thanks for your advice, its all being assimilated....I'm not passing up shifters that I like, shimano or no, I'll simply use what doesn't get used this time for another of my planned projects. Just trying to economise on actual outlay right now as I don't physically have enough money to double up on everything today even if I don't have to get it in the future!!

However I do have a load of mtb parts to sell which my redress the balance..

sounds fair... well all I know for sure is that Shimano road STIs require road FMs, you can use them with road or MTB rear mechs and cassettes and bear in mind what I said about double / triple lefthand units :D

The only MTB component is the frame and maybe the forks! All the rest is changed, and I'll used MTB components only where totally necessary or there is no real difference...bb potentially..

Back