Upgrading car hedlight bulbs to Cree ones

Why not just fit some additional driving lights? I used to live in the countryside and it was something a few people did to improve visibility.

I don't think you should change your dipped beam brightness as it's not necessary and a potential hazard for other motorists. However the full beam can be a bit lacking especially on 50-60mph roads when there's no one else around. The driving lights reach much further ahead and pierce deep into the gloom while your normal high beam does the sides too but doesn't reach as far forwards. I think they are normally wired in to only come on when you are on full beam but with a master switch on the dash to turn them on or off (say in the summer when you want to put the covers on them as they aren't used much if ever).

But I suppose they don't look cool anymore.....

On a related thought, are they any good for a retrofit bike light upgrade over halogens... :?

Clearly some butchering would be needed, but...

hamster":dnsktwqn said:
On a related thought, are they any good for a retrofit bike light upgrade over halogens... :?

Clearly some butchering would be needed, but...

I've been looking at the bulbs on offer in B&Q for a conversion...

djoptix":1kjc5w69 said:
Often, on cars which don't come with HIDs as standard, the problem is just crap wiring. The wire is just too thin and/or long once it's been round a loom. The right way to remedy it is to wire in relays by the headlamps, activate them with the original headlamp feed and run a full-fat +12v straight to/from the battery. My Citroen had this problem and the difference with relays is like, well, night and day.

^ this. OP doesn't say what sort of camper it is, but if it's a VW T3 or T4 then the headlights are notoriously poor on account of the wires going all the way from the battery across the van to the headlight switch and fusebox and then back to the lights so you only get 10.5V across the actual bulbs. You can get relay kits for about £30 that just plug in.

MikeD":i0vaia05 said:
djoptix":i0vaia05 said:
Often, on cars which don't come with HIDs as standard, the problem is just crap wiring. The wire is just too thin and/or long once it's been round a loom. The right way to remedy it is to wire in relays by the headlamps, activate them with the original headlamp feed and run a full-fat +12v straight to/from the battery. My Citroen had this problem and the difference with relays is like, well, night and day.

^ this. OP doesn't say what sort of camper it is, .

Baron von Trumpen Bottom":i0vaia05 said:
I would be fitting them into a 1999 Iveco van

For "OP doesn't say" read "I failed to read" :)

(Relays still a better idea than dodgy aftermarket bulb "upgrades")

I have a '97 Mondeo and I had excellent results with the Halford bulb upgrade, they were on offer at the time.

Th light is a lot "whiter" than a standard bulb without being brighter, both are 55watts I believe.
This was a quick and cheap upgrade which is legal and doesn't scare oncoming drivers!

Back