Cassette removal help

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Ok, don't shoot me but what removal tool / adaptor do I need for this beastie? I hasten to add I've cleaned it up since this shot!

dsc0337rb.jpg

It looks like it has some sort of retaining thing but for the life of me I can't figure out how it comes off. It's from a mid 80's Raleigh Rapide and most of the components are Campy.

Answers on a postcard (apart from LBS of course ;) )

It's not a cassette but a screw-on freewheel. The removal tool locks into the two slots in the inner ring (the sort of goldy one just outside the axle / bearing nuts).

You'll need the tool in a vice in all probability.
;)

hamster":240o40wp said:
It's not a cassette but a screw-on freewheel. The removal tool locks into the two slots in the inner ring (the sort of goldy one just outside the axle / bearing nuts).

You'll need the tool in a vice in all probability.
;)

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. So a trip to the LBS is required (don't have a vice). Many thanks!

Looks like you'll need one of these and I'd buy one as they come in handy once in a while and saves visiting the LBS and paying daft labour charges.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cyclo-Bicycle ... 4d05b6cc5c

If you have no vice you can also unscrew the freewheel by fitting the tool into freewheel,
put the quick-release back through the axle and tighten up the quick release until it
tightens up on the tool then use of a large adjustable spanner hold the wheel secure
in-between your legs and turn it anti clockwise, you may need to give it some grunt
as soon as it turns. Stop! Then slacken off the quick release slightly so you can unscrew
it that bit more, when its free just take out the quick release and unscrew it. Job done.

When you come to putting a freewheel back on make sure the threads are clean and rust
free and put on a layer of 'copper slip' and make sure you don't cross thread the block when re-fitting.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ian Raleigh":vfdjdtsu said:
Looks like you'll need one of these and I'd buy one as they come in handy once in a while and saves visiting the LBS and paying daft labour charges.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cyclo-Bicycle ... 4d05b6cc5c

If you have no vice you can also unscrew the freewheel by fitting the tool into freewheel,
put the quick-release back through the axle and tighten up the quick release until it
tightens up on the tool then use of a large adjustable spanner hold the wheel secure
in-between your legs and turn it anti clockwise, you may need to give it some grunt
as soon as it turns. Stop! Then slacken off the quick release slightly so you can unscrew
it that bit more, when its free just take out the quick release and unscrew it. Job done.

When you come to putting a freewheel back on make sure the threads are clean and rust
free and put on a layer of 'copper slip' and make sure you don't cross thread the block when re-fitting.

That's the ticket! Top stuff - many thanks!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just to second the above, expect to have to give it some hell. You might need some clubhammer action on the adjustable wrench or spanner.

Jonny69":1btfowcd said:
expect to have to give it some hell. You might need some clubhammer action on the adjustable wrench or spanner.
:LOL:
Some time back and having no access to a vice and not being able to unscrew one certain
seized up block, I went to a building site and spotted a three foot bit of scaffolding pole :shock:

I used that as a fulcrum on my adjustable and with the aid of my Son I got the block off...lol

al-onestare":3inxn9ly said:
Fucking hell :LOL: Fingers crossed I don't have to go those levels!
If the wheel doesn't collapse on removal of the block you know you have an excellent strong wheel ;)

I'd buy the tool as they are the most handy tool you can have in your toolbox.

Back