1998 Marin Team down hill factory bike pictures ?

retrocomeback":1w2r9vj4 said:
mrpedigree":1w2r9vj4 said:
Is there not any original pictures out there of this bike from the catalogue or mags of time ??
ANYONE HELP MARIN GUYS ?? PLS :(

At the Marin Dealer I worked at BITD the majority of these bikes were sold as the DH FRS frame set and then custom built to the customers specs. I'd put money on complete original Team DH bikes being rarer than hens teeth! Great find by the way ;)
That rings true because when i wanted the factory Team downhill from the Marin catalogue ,But Noahs Ark the shop that i was wanting to buy it from said they could get me the frame set called DH FRS and build it up but not the full team Downhill as that was import only !?
In the end they managed to order me one and it took 4 weeks to come ,it cost near three grand i recall back then :)

Chute55uk":2dhny5z4 said:
wow thats nice
i seem to remember these being frameset only from the importers.
what did you pay for it? (go on make me cry)
The guys wanted 550 for it but i manged to get it for 260 as i am a bit of a haggler (in the motor trade) and it needed to tyres as the original had perished with the passage of time ,its the proper full Team Downhill spec,with oversized hope big unns hubs /white industries crank and not the jap one but the proper USA machined type crank ,its got the manitou answer x vert triple clamp forks that on there own cost like 1300 , thought it was cheap for 260 ,i see b17s an mouth visions making more than that and their not half the bike or as rare,it was my grail ,so glad i found it ,it wont get hurt with me,just gonna use it as a cruzer to the shops ,here some more pics of it :)
Picture057.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Watch for cracks, my B17 went in 4 places around the cross brace...

The proper 97 DH team was the same as the Manitou FS of the time... The monoshock under the top tube job....

The 99 was a monocoque frame (mate had one) which was a beast but very heavy....

boxxer":xz0hc7yo said:
Watch for cracks, my B17 went in 4 places around the cross brace...

The proper 97 DH team was the same as the Manitou FS of the time... The monoshock under the top tube job....

The 99 was a monocoque frame (mate had one) which was a beast but very heavy....
This is a proper factory 1998 Team DH bike, if memory serves me correct these bikes was the first bikes labeled Team DH , they came out in the 1998 cause as soon as i seen it i ordered one and that was in spring 1998 , i sold my GT lobo 1997 get it....i dont think marin did a team DH in 1997 like you said did they ?

If i remember didnt the B17s/mount visions frame break cause of the limited travel with the rear shocks that were fitted ? (shockworks) ,didnt the shock up grade stop this ?
The b17 was just a budget version of a DH bike it only cost a 1100 new i recall , the forks cost more on a Team Downhill than it did to buy a complete B17 bike :LOL:

boxxer":2vfcidgt said:
B17 was £2K new, I paid £1200 for mine at the end of 97

If you look in the archive on here, search under Marin you'll see the 97 catalogue and DH team.....

I know as I have the Cat at home and Andrew Shandrow was the team rider featured..

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... H.jpg.html

Exactly the same as the Manitou frames of that era just a different shock...

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1996_Manitou_FS.html
I remember them now,more like an XC those tho i thought .
BTW way your wrong ,The first B17s in red and white was never £2000 new,i know because my younger brother creamed his pants for one and as soon as it was released bought one, it was £1200 new ;)

Is there any prints of the 1998 Marin Catalogue with the B17 and team down hill in ??
Cant find anything anywhere :x

The B17 and the other single pivot Marin DH bikes of that design were definitely first introduced in 1998 as they all featured the beefier MK2 rear swingarm.

retrocomeback":1px5pcld said:
The B17 and the other single pivot Marin DH bikes of that design were definitely first introduced in 1998 as they all featured the beefier MK2 rear swingarm.
That what i was telling Boxxer ,there was no way he bought a B17 in 1997 nor gave two grand for one :LOL:

Tidied this one up.

Fine Marin, often wondered why they don't get much respect.

Can't find a 98 Marin catalogue, if someone has one and can scan it in would be a great addition to the archive.

Back