The Fleet

May I ask about the Explosif? I take it this is the frame that used to be pinked-out before you did your wife-swapping trick with BikePerv, and in your story at the time you said they were both 1990 bikes. But both of them have the seat stay meeting the seat tube slightly above the top tube, a la Rocky or KHS, which isn't shown on the Explosif in the 1990 catalogue and isn't a feature of any other Kona I've seen. So it made me wonder whether they were either 1989 bikes or the catalogue was wrong (as it sometimes is).

And then in your gallery is this handsome beast, which seems to be different in having no spatter on the black, a different fork and it's not quite so clear whether the seat stay intersection is standard Kona, but it looks perhaps as though it is.

So can you enlighten me as to which year they all came from please?

Incidentally, I'd also be interested to know why I can't copy your latest pic into my computer, as it's really rather a good one.

Attachments

• 1989 or 90 Explosif Hilts.jpg
    1989 or 90 Explosif Hilts.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,825
Hilts":enwqugey said:
It's an Alpinestars CTM 400 from 2001 I think.

I've never seen another one and I found it on ebay by chance. There seems to have been a few Alpinestars bikes sold in Europe (Spain mostly) that didn't get anywhere else. I know very little about them except what I could make out from this website which use to sell them..

http://www.bikezona.com/bicicletas/todo ... sp?id=3742

Apart from sharing the name i am not sure if they are anything to do with the original Alpinestars MTB brand.
I tried to get an idea for the build from the pics on the site above but it's currently a bit of a dogs dinner as i couldn't be bothered to spend too much on it (I was doing the Lemond at the time) , hope to get it working though as it's incredibly light and quite cool looking I think..

It does look really tidy :cool: What are those rims/wheels?

An individual and unique fleet to be proud of!

Love the AS and the SC - didn't know your remit stretched that far - v. impressed!

Mr K

May I ask about the Explosif? I take it this is the frame that used to be pinked-out before you did your wife-swapping trick with BikePerv, and in your story at the time you said they were both 1990 bikes. But both of them have the seat stay meeting the seat tube slightly above the top tube, a la Rocky or KHS, which isn't shown on the Explosif in the 1990 catalogue and isn't a feature of any other Kona I've seen. So it made me wonder whether they were either 1989 bikes or the catalogue was wrong (as it sometimes is).

Good question - I always believed it was a 1990 but it could well be an 89. I know the 88 Explosif was the Green one with the U-Brake at the back, not sure what the 89 was. perhaps someone could enlighten us all.

And then in your gallery is this handsome beast, which seems to be different in having no spatter on the black, a different fork and it's not quite so clear whether the seat stay intersection is standard Kona, but it looks perhaps as though it is.

I got this frame from adamgent (who no longer posts here) and he said it was a 1990 frame sprayed black with new decals, the forks came from Jez and are track two's. As you say the rear triangle looks different so maybe that lends itself to the theory that the splatters are 89 models..

Incidentally, I'd also be interested to know why I can't copy your latest pic into my computer, as it's really rather a good one

No idea on this but if you want the original PM me and I'll send it to you.

Hilts":3courl4q said:
Good question - I always believed it was a 1990 but it could well be an 89. I know the 88 Explosif was the Green one with the U-Brake at the back, not sure what the 89 was. perhaps someone could enlighten us all.
Yes, your bike isn't at all like the 88 one, but is it my imagination that it slightly resembles the 1990 Brodie Catalyst? Is it possible that Paul Brodie made the 1989 Explosif frames? (note the text, indicating the level of joint effort between TBG, JM and Brodie)

Attachments

• 1990 Brodie Catalyst.jpg
    1990 Brodie Catalyst.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 607
  • 1988 Explosif size 18.jpg
    1988 Explosif size 18.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 607
Plot thickens.. Here is the 18" one I swapped with Bike Perv, looks normal at the rear intersection of seat tube etc

main.php

The 19" that is now mine has the different rear end

main.php

Maybe it's a size thing (can't see why though).. Perhps one is an 89 and one a 90 ..

anyone spot any other diff's

The kona with the splatter effect is definitely 1990 model, bought mine new at the time... The difference in rear triangles between 18 and 19 inch is weird. mine is a 18" and looks identical to yours

The splatter paint effect was not overly popular. Trying to work out the 1989 bike, and cannot place it, I thought it was the green yellow machie....

You're an observant bugger Anthony! :LOL:

Never seen one like that before I have to admit.

Back