New build, non-expert - advice on gearing & groupsets et

DMZ

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all

I am building a road bike; its a retro kona mountain bike frame so I suppose technically a hybrid.

I was originally just going to make a simple single speed, then decided on having gears - for general road use and maybe more. However, I can't decide how many speeds (8? 9? 10? 11? and front, 2 chainrings? 3?)

Also the shifters etc seem horrendously expensive (the ones integrated with the brake levers), but can't seem to find an alternative - but would like this style...

Tried looking at groupsets, but I don't need brakes and am wary about used cassettes etc. My Bianchi rear wheel already has a used Miche 9 speed on it which I should probably renew (came second hand, can't judge its wear very well...)...

Any advice on the most cost effective way of sorting this issue out; pitfalls, perils; and help deciding on the speed to go for would be appreciated - I am not too fussed, but just want a decent quality build out of it that is reasonably versatile. I'm very handy but haven't fiddled with major gearing and shifters before, so consider this when throwing technical details at me! ;)

(Or anyone with some old gear around they have upgraded, willing to donate at a reasonable price...?)

Cheers.

Assuming it's the frame in your signature picture....

Gears: use whatever Shimano mech comes to hand. the simplest shifters are Shimano bar-end ones, which fit into the tips of the drops. There are compatibility problems with: 10 speed with anything, road and MTB front mechs. However, barcons don't index the front change, so anything will work.

Brakes: you'll need cantis or V. Simplest levers are Diacompe 287 for any canti, or 287V for V-brakes. Tektro and Cane Creek also make some. Lack of adjusters is a problem, so in-line adjusters are necessary.

Gear-wise, you'll probably need something that gives a 1:4 ratio like 11 rear, 44 front for top. Anything MTB will be fine for bottom.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the response - it is in fact a later version of this frame, my 1998...useful as it has variations such as a wider steerer tube and mountings such that with a small modification it will actually take side pull calipers...I have Tektro 540s with Kool stop pads.

Wheels Bianchi rear/Gipiemme tecno 024 front (would be nice to find a matching rear...!)

I hadn't thought of the shifters on the ends of the bars, I'll look into it.

So is 10 speed to be avoided?

I can see this is going to be another learning exercise, as intended really!

The problem with 10 speed is that it is incompatible with anything earlier so you cannot mix and match old and new. 8 speed shifters will work with 9 speed mechs etc. 10 speed is completely different.

Beware that road brifters don't pull much cable so cannot work with V's and for cantis you need the older style cyclocross type with wide arms. Road and MTB front mechs are different too.

If you are using callipers then it's all designed to work together, but you might have problems with the brake bridge position at the rear.

Rear bridge position seems to be ok. No-one has done much exciting with this frame, which is why I'm having a go really. Expecting problems and having to mod things as usual, but that's my speciality...;)

Still confused by gearing, I guess if everything matches or is of the correct design to work together I should be ok.

Back