S-Max vs Touran Sport vs Verso 2.2

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
About to buy a second hand diesel MPV and cannot make a judgement out of these three (as they all have their merits) - anyone got any useful insight to give???

Mr K

1. S-Max has the wrong badge, call me a badge snob but its a no no for me. A bit pants.

2. Verso will be super reliable but its a bit zzzzzzzzzzzzzz- well specced for the money though, has same problem as above to a certain extent.

3. Touran Sport- bit tight for getting the bikes in the back but very reliable, very well screwed together, depreciates less than the others and is probably the winner here by a length and a half. just IMHO of course ;)
Could i interest you in a nice low milage '07 Megane Grand Scenic, cough cough nudge nudge?? ;)

Failing that go fot an Alfa 159 Sportwagon, yes you might as well piss the money up, yes you will break down lots, yes everyone will tell you not to, but you will be the top dude in the office!! Seriously sexy motor car!

Im not quite at the age to be buying an MPV just yet. But my fathers recently bought one after downsizing from an Eclass to something more practical.

I went on a few trips to check out the various models you looked at.

Verso... boring and a little sluggish. no real complaints just nothing to get you going.

Touran..Im a VW fan, most of my cars have been VW group, however the Touran didnt impress, poorly thought out interior... cheap feeling for the price. Good point is the superb VW TDI engines (ive got one my self in a Bora) Touran is also very boxy van like looking.

Smax.. I too hate ford...buit to be honest of the 3 you listed its the winner for me, well made. Good looking good performance and nicely thought out interior.

In the end my Father ended up getting a B class merc. which if your budget will go that far is a very nice alternative. Costs more than anything else in the small MPV market, but it feels like a propper mercedies should.

Actually thinking about it, Top gear did a review of the sportier mini MPV's that covers all the ones mentioned i think (although being top gear they may not have been looking at the things your usual MPV buyer would look at)....might be on youtube?

Common concensus is that the S-Max is the best driving and handling MPV. But it's all moot if it doesn't meet your needs!! If you can fit everything in then I'd deffo take the S-Max. Puls it looks great to boot.

Jim

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon with this but my missus is taking driving lessons at the mo as neither of us drive. We are entitled to a motability car and have been looking at the Mazda 5 MPV 1.8 TS 2, Vauxhall Zafira MPV 1.8 VVT Exclusiv, Grand C4 Picasso 1.8 125VTR+7stMP and Renault Grand Scenic MPV 1.6 16v Extreme 7st neither of us have a clue about cars but as theres 6 of us all in all we need it to be big and reliable any advice on this chaps

Settled on the Verso - SMax was too long (seems to be in the Espace class really); the Touran just too damn mean on equipment and the driving position is pure white van man. So by default the Verso took the honours because of it's car-like drive and overall comfort... Let's face it, an MPV ain't no style statement however 'sporty' they claim them to be!

As I've now saved some money I can begin the search to replace my sorely missed SAAB 96... short list to follow!

Mr K

PS. Obviously the Verso will be stickered up as the Sports Casuals Team Fun Bus come MM08... :)

Hey I have a verso 2.2 SR and I have no complaints. Enough power and doing a great job of eating up the miles :D

Re: .

mrkawasaki":jbq0dfxx said:
As I've now saved some money I can begin the search to replace my sorely missed SAAB 96

Just happens that I have one round the back of the workshop thats for sale. Interior is poor, its popped out a core plug, gearbox is shot, clutch has been robbed for another car, every panel is either rusty or dented, suspension is worn out. On the other hand it has a really good un welded and almost rust free shell that will build into a cracker (only reason its still with us) Got loads of standard and performance stuff for 96's too. Just finished a second works replica rally 96 that we will run later this month on the Pirelli International Rally in Kielder
Give me a shout if you want the shell. Can be built to your spec, colour, trim, engine etc. (but be prepared to wait- super busy lately)

S

I take it you're not in sales... ;-)

Planning to move a long way from SAABs next time out!

Mr K

Attachments

• TVR3000S.jpg
    TVR3000S.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,402
Back