SHIMANO 600AX DELTA CALIPERS

Yep they don't stop very well. Even worse with carbon specific pads on carbon wheels. Look the business though which is fine for my bike hung in the garage. I'm too heavy at the moment for the wheels anyway!

I have 600ax brakes on my bike. I guess, It has covered over 10000 miles and the brakes operate excellently. Perhaps anyone who has had problems may not have them adjusted correctly. I have them adjusted, using the screw, to very close to the rims. I am still using the original blocks although they will need changed soon. I believe NOS blocks are not available and I will have to cut other blocks down.

If anyone has a pair of spare 600ax hoods lying in a corner somewhere I would be interested.

The intention is to use these on a summer only bike, I have read that these callipers can be a bit on the weak side, but that's in comparison to today's standards I guess. I'll spend time setting these up as tightly as I can, good to hear another poster has done significant miles on these.

I must admit though, in the first instance it is a case of form over function - hopefully I can get them operating sweetly.

Curiously, I read that Lance Armstrong used these on a TT bike long after they were in vogue. So, perhaps, they must be ok.

I hope to start cleaning mine this week - Autosol is the plan. I remember that they do need well cleaned around the pivots and them oiled or they stick.

The brakes are supposed to be set up away from the rim to allow all the full mechanical advantage of the kick out on the taper. This isn't worn it is as good as new

SAM_1983.JPG

Back