SHIMANO 600AX DELTA CALIPERS

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Evening all - I've got a pair of the Delta centre pull calipers (mid 80's) for a build i'm on with. I'm really struggling to understand how the cable is connected (truth is I think the straddles that hold cables to calipers is missing).

Does anyone know if this straddle / connector is a Shimano specific part or can I use something I can off the shelf? If it's the former then I guess these calipers are rendered redundant!

Any input would be appreciated as these calipers look superb on my build.

Thanks all :)

These?

600ax_aero_calipers.jpg

You need the specific clamp thingies - these force the caliper arms onto the rims as the cable is pulled. You get some made or make your own if your handy.

468513980_16f65b10c8.jpg

Those are the very ones. From those pictures it's the centre section with the cable / connecting bolt and straddle - alas I don't have them. I wish I was handy enough to cobble something together - as I sit here I cant even think how I'd start.

The sections where the straddle slides into each side of a caliper is somewhat engineered with a curved section and lip - looks complicated!

I assume there's nothing comparable that I could purchase?

Thanks for your input - much appreciated.

It is a triangular shaped section that is curved to give the braking characteristics. I have some spare. Drop me a pm

Wish I'd thought to post here when I needed one of these! I bought a NOS dura ace ax calliper that was missing this part. Several
cut fingers later, metal filings all over the floor resulted in a lop sided approximation of the delta shaped piece that was missing and mine are now working......kind of!
In hindsight I'd go with the option just posted of $8.95 for the right part!

I've sat for hours searching on the www - appears I wasn't looking hard enough or in the right places! Sourced a couple of said parts from a retrobike member so my build can continue as I first envisaged. That has very much made my evening so thanks for everyone's input.

Next time I buy something i'll try and make sure ALL the parts are there![/u]

caution. They are truly poor performing brakes ! Had them on my lo pro back in the day and I left more skid marks in my pants than on the road :oops:

argonsixar":1ggcwe3l said:
caution. They are truly poor performing brakes ! Had them on my lo pro back in the day and I left more skid marks in my pants than on the road :oops:

It is all in the setting, they need quite a big gap block to wheel (enough to get wheel out with inflated tyre) for the ramps on the roller cams to fully work. Then they perform as well as any other any other 80s road brake.

Back