Possible eBay, Gumtree scam?

old_coyote_pedaller

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Been looking for a Garmin GPS and was watching this one on eBay which just ended in last hour or so,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-edge-5 ... 7675.l2557

Then I found this on Gumtree while looking for info on the Edge 500,

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/garmi ... 1002019639

First one ended then 2nd one posted on Gumtree just after.

Same photo, description/story almost the same but location/seller different, Wrexham and London.

Am I missing something obvious or is this a scam?
My powers of observation have diminished over the years so won't be offended if someone replies calling me an old idiot. :roll:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Does seem a bit suspect, but I don't know what the scam could be. :?:

If you buy on ebay and pay with paypal you are protected and i would only buy off Gumtree with cash on collection.

dunno as i ain't looking at the links but gumtree is famous for scams ,,,, as indeed ebay can be - if you are buying privately, bid or send as much money as you are prepared to lose, and you can't rely on paypal to get it back either.

if it seems to good to be true, then it usually is.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
So, the eBay listing is/was probably OK, but the Gumtree one is more than likely a scam with the scammer just ripping off the descriptions/photos on valid listings on eBay.

Mostly buy off eBay as at least you can get your money back off PayPal.

Only bought one thing off Gumtree, a frame, and paid for it when I picked it up in Edinburgh.

old_coyote_pedaller":3en3ae8e said:
Been looking for a Garmin GPS and was watching this one on eBay which just ended in last hour or so,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-edge-5 ... 7675.l2557

Then I found this on Gumtree while looking for info on the Edge 500,

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/garmi ... 1002019639

First one ended then 2nd one posted on Gumtree just after.

Same photo, description/story almost the same but location/seller different, Wrexham and London.

Am I missing something obvious or is this a scam?
My powers of observation have diminished over the years so won't be offended if someone replies calling me an old idiot. :roll:

I have an Edge 705 kicking around if you are interested ? Used it for a few months and stuck it back in its box 18 months ago and not looked at it since so I wont miss it.

argonsixar":2z381c4w said:
I have an Edge 705 kicking around if you are interested ? Used it for a few months and stuck it back in its box 18 months ago and not looked at it since so I wont miss it.

Oooh, very interested, pending how much you want for it. :cool: ;)

Now you are asking ! I will look at flea bay and get a finger in the air.

Meantime , let me plug it in tonight and see if it is still OK as it hasn't been charged in over a year. If it still works OK I will let you know.

OK, thanks.
Likely that you will be asking more than I will want to pay :roll:, as I've been looking at CRC's Garmin Edge 500s that are reduced at the moment.
Can get one for £139.99, which includes discount voucher to be used before Mon 22nd, so I'll understand you asking a realistic price for your 705.
Still interested in 705 though so let me know how much. :cool:

I was after one and found a gumtree ad a few months ago.
The email reply was clearly a scam.

First time I looked on gumtree was a bike that had been on ebay a few weeks earlier, it was on gumtree with the ebay description and photo's. The bike which sold for around 5 grand was 1500 quid on Gumtree, it was also now said to be in Italy. I was told someone would be driving very near to my house and if I paid quickly they would have the bike dropped off within the next few days, not that I mentioned anything about where I lived or even what country.

Latest posts

Back