Virus/spyware type issue?

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Something new has started happening on my PC.

When reading through lines of text in forum posts (not just RB but other forums too) random words appear in different colour and underlined, as if they were links to other pages or sites. When I hover cursor over these words - adverts are displayed on screen. I've seen this before but not recently and not on my PC.

Only change I have carried out was an aborted attempt to install Firefox but I think all components of that have now been removed.

Anyone know how to get rid of the adverts? They're bloomin annoying!

I noticed that here a few weeks ago. They tended to be for things like winning an ipad. I think some people were baiting a spammer? I haven't noticed it lately. I run Firefox on my pc.

Must be some addon that installed itself during browsing.
Look in the list of active addons (or plugins or whatever they're called in your browser) and disable everything you don't trust.

Not had anything like this but it could be adware or spyware.

I have Spybot Search and Destroy installed on my computer and run it every now and again to remove any of the crap that gets past Firefox and MSE antispyware/adware.

Just remembered that I had an annoying thing when I had Skype installed. Everything that looked like a phone number to Skype was highlighted like a link by Skype. Uninstalled it as Firefox also didn't like Skype.

I can't mind the names, but one or two add ons do this. Should be easy enough to remove, once you have identified it.

Not particularly malicious though, so no drama.

Raging_Bulls":37dvzrq6 said:
Must be some addon that installed itself during browsing.
Look in the list of active addons (or plugins or whatever they're called in your browser) and disable everything you don't trust.

Yep got it :D

Google chrome "extensions" had a bargain sales type item in them. Deleted this and problem solved :D :D

Back