Damaged rear hanger. Help.

Had a quote from Mercian for around £400! A lot more than the frame is worth. Think i'll get a quote from the guys you've suggested.

60 years ago this would have been a simple repair, just pull off the broken bit, make sure it fits with a little filing, clamp it back in place and use a little silver, like easyflo. We used to add Campagnolo gear hangers, and this isn't much more. A penetration joint, not weld, would be more than adequate. My half tin of easyflo flux is still viable after 60 years.
If it was my frame that is what I would do.

I suppose brazing the broken bit back on or replacing the dropout would be a simple and quick job, and shouldn't cost too much. But there is the cost of new paint for any frame repairs. The £400 quoted must include both new chrome and new paint.

If it were repaired with silver solder, there might be some local discolouring / damage to the chrome on the dropout, but provided the repairer used some nice wet rags on the chain and seat stays, they shouldn't be affected.

Yep £400 includes de-chroming and re-chroming. I could have it welded but this would decrease the value of the frame. Only a full repair would enable it to hold its original value. I`m currently trying to get the sender to refund a third of the value of the full bike sale as the quote clearly rights the frame off.

Back