Hydraulic Disc Brake Recomendations...

beagle":2r98dftb said:
nigelb":2r98dftb said:
I've just ordered a set of Hope Tech Evo M4 brakes, I'd better stock up with Anusol!

That's fair enough, just don't bring them to me when you want them bled. I'd agree with Mindcap3, they haven't been "ace" in a long time.

Horses for courses I guess. I prefer my M4's over any other's I've tried and they've never missed a beat. Don't need bleeding every time you disconnect them either. My mate had to bleed his and said it was easy. It'd now take a lot to get me to buy anything else as I can not fault both sets of hope I've had.

brocklanders023":1rl9dm78 said:
beagle":1rl9dm78 said:
nigelb":1rl9dm78 said:
I've just ordered a set of Hope Tech Evo M4 brakes, I'd better stock up with Anusol!

That's fair enough, just don't bring them to me when you want them bled. I'd agree with Mindcap3, they haven't been "ace" in a long time.

Horses for courses I guess. I prefer my M4's over any other's I've tried and they've never missed a beat. Don't need bleeding every time you disconnect them either. My mate had to bleed his and said it was easy. It'd now take a lot to get me to buy anything else as I can not fault both sets of hope I've had.

I agree, I have some M4's and have to try really hard not to lock them up all the time on twisty single track,i do love them. I want to get some more for my clockwork to standardise.

Another recommendation for Magua Marta.
Fit and forget, the easiest bleeding around, 5 year warranty, suberb modulation...
no downsides whatsoever!

Really interesting views..... Went a bit off piste in the end and managed to find a full set of Magura MT6's for £260.00. Looking forward to trying them! :cool:

Thanks to this thread (!) I've just got an as-new set of Formula RX, with genuine formula rotors.

For £100.

:shock: :D :D

Don't know what you fellas with Hope complaints are doing wrong.

Current generation of Tech brakes are the best ever IMHO..... and I've tried them all except XC4s.

No problems with bleeding at this end. Or with anything else for that matter.

dbmtb":1kwnlf7b said:

Current generation of Tech brakes are the best ever IMHO..... and I've tried them all except XC4s.

It's just that Shimano and Formula have moved the game on in terms of power...in a big way. Even Avid are pretty up there power wise, they're just not very reliable.

The Hope brakes with the original Mini lever were pants; the lads with M4's and 6 pots in Morzine a few years ago struggled with boiling brakes, lack of power and various other issues. My M4's aren't great but are loads better than the Mini's on my other half's Chameleon. I'm only running Hope brakes because the hubs on both bikes are five bolt jobbies.

dbmtb":18xm3rrn said:

I totally agree with this having recently fitted Hope Tech Evo's.

I've got M4s front and X2s rear. Power is amazing and feel is so progressive. Power is such that initially I had to be careful after using the Shimanos that they replaced. I shortened the cables no problem - no bleeding necessary. Today I fitted the XT shifter adapters, works well, saves weight and looks great. I'm sold on Hope brakes, and my mate having tried them is sold on them too. He uses Formula.

Mindmap3":1iqwnutg said:
dbmtb":1iqwnutg said:

It's just that Shimano and Formula have moved the game on in terms of power...in a big way. Even Avid are pretty up there power wise, they're just not very reliable.

The Hope brakes with the original Mini lever were pants; the lads with M4's and 6 pots in Morzine a few years ago struggled with boiling brakes, lack of power and various other issues. My M4's aren't great but are loads better than the Mini's on my other half's Chameleon. I'm only running Hope brakes because the hubs on both bikes are five bolt jobbies.

You're not exactly comparing like with like though are you? Post-2007 Shimano adjustable systems with obsolete pre-Tech lever Hopes from 2004/5....

Sure as hell the Mini/M4 lever-type brakes lag behind in terms of performance when compared with current Shimano offerings. But when the Tech levers came out they caught up all the lost ground and then some....

Back