Bullitt
vanishing Point.
The film with deniro in france?
Gone in 60 seconds.
The Driver
Italian Job
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Fear is the Key

But the last time I went to the cinema was to see McVicar[when it came out], So I guess I missed a couple;-)

Hard to top Bullitt, and not really a chase, but any of the races from Grand Prix - Monza on the banking is insane.

Nik

FMJ":vurombl8 said:
RobMac":vurombl8 said:
FairfaxPat":vurombl8 said:
Gotta be Bullitt.

+1

Thanks Pat us old timers know what a classic/quality car chase that was ;)

Few tidbits about the chase in Bullit. There were 2 of each cars, one set up for jumping, the other for the rest of the scenes. Legendary moto racer Bud Ekins was the rider that laid down the bike in the freeway scene. The Charger didn't actually hit the gas pump. It (unintentionally) missed, and you can see it streak past the explosion and the building if you run the gag in slow motion.

And Steve McQueen is the only person worth following on Twitter.

One of the cameramen from Bullitt used to drink in the pub I worked in, if I ever get round to checking it, he said he used to park his purple campervan in as many shots as he could get away with! Perk of the job I guess!

Frech Connection
Vanishing Point
Freebie And The Bean
Duel
Terminator II
Ronin
Quite a few of the Bond ones are excellent.

Bullitt is sheer magic. There were few as cool as McQueen.

Gone in 60 seconds (the Eleanor chase scene in the remake)
Fast Five (admit it, that heist was epic)

However the best chase ever is ... mst of the original Smokey and the Bandit movie

'Smokey & The Bandit' (first one) loved that Kenworth W900
(is it really 35 years since it was released!?!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5KNcF ... re=related

'Hooper' the end sequence with the town collapsing around them & the rocket powered Firebird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLokDBOb7-U

Even though it was a crap film, the chase sequence around Atlanta in the (remade) 'Dukes Of Hazzard'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_otfDm ... re=related

'Eleanor' in the remade Gone in 60 Seconds
Some of the split-second timings in that film :shock:

Studios used to sell off all the cars and bikes after a film was complete. One of the Bullitt Mustangs ended up with an old guy in the middle of nowhere. McQueen tried to buy it back, but the old guy would not budge.

Last I heard the guys in the Mustang Owners Club in the US were still trying to buy it for the Mustang museum (they may have it by now).

Also, because the film was so short of money, the French Connection car chase was done on open public roads, without the permission or knowledge of the authorities.

Last, Bud Elkins used to do a lot of McQueens bike stunts (or not,if you know what I mean). He did do the fence jump in The Great Escape. Elkins and McQueen were team mates and used to do a lot of desert races together.

NeilM":1mwmln3p said:
Last, Bud Elkins used to do a lot of McQueens bike stunts (or not,if you know what I mean). He did do the fence jump in The Great Escape. Elkins and McQueen were team mates and used to do a lot of desert races together.

The studios would not allow McQueen to race motorcycles. There was a gentleman by the name of Harvey Mushman that looked remarkably like him that would show up to races like the Elsinore GP and do quite well.

Latest posts

Back