1990 Cannondale SM2000

JohnDoe

Retro Newbie
Here's my daily ride for school.

A little tired compared to the rest of the bikes here but I'm aiming to get it into proper shape. Drivetrain is stock XT save for the shifters, most everything else needs to be replaced. Guy who raced it didn't keep anything he replaced or upgraded and someone stole the Nitto post. Obviously the Mag 21 and threadless headset aren't stock but the mag has mercifully cooperated and held air for a year.

Overall one of the stiffest and most entertaining bikes I've ever ridden and feels more like a road bike but with a shorter cockpit. Even my steel fixed gear had more compliance. As far as dirt riding I'm afraid of the mag becoming displeased with me so I stick to the tamer trails here in Arizona.

I'm certainly open to ideas on how to handle restoring it. For instance I'm not sure if putting non original type rings and cassette is sacrilege. The original cantis will go back on and I have a 1" xt headset and shifters on the way. Currently the only things I really can't find sanely priced sources for are the 1" pepperoni fork, HG-90 cassette, m730 chainrings, and original cable guides.

Attachments

• c'dale 2.2.jpg
    c'dale 2.2.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 2,587
  • c'dale 1.2.jpg
    c'dale 1.2.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 2,587
Happy to see an SM2000 !
A lot of parts have to be changed :
The front stem for a cannondale 285 (or a ritchey force)
A Pepperoni fork (the first year it was built, and only on this bike, with the omega)
canti brakes with ritchey levers and you need some thumbshifters.
And to find a ritchey/nitto seatpost and a turbo saddle !

:D

It's a lot of stuff to find but most of it is common. Also this year came specced with push style shifters, though depending on how bad they are I may very well end up with thumbies.

Question though, I see that selle italia has released the turbo again. Is there much difference between the new ones and the nos units on Ebay?

Well, got a few parts for the bike to get it back to rights:
1" KORE stem to replace the nasty 1 & 1/8" stem w/ shims
Proper m091 brake levers and shifters
XT cantilever brakes
Ritchey Grips
Nitto S65 Seatppost
Selle Italia Flite Saddle

Attachments

• IMAG0121-copy.jpg
    IMAG0121-copy.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 2,252
  • IMAG0122-copy.jpg
    IMAG0122-copy.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2,252
  • IMAG0123-copy.jpg
    IMAG0123-copy.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 2,252
my old one from years ago sry pic not great
file-68.jpg

file-69.jpg

You should definitely opt for the original Pepperoni, is does make the bike look much more cleaner.

My SM 2000 (1991):

CannyTeich.jpg

Awesome to see all the others on here. Also sparkiegaz, why are the front brakes on your bike backwards?

The pepperoni fork and 285 stem have proven hard to track down, but I should have a fork soon. Also my left shifter literally blew apart so I'll be going 1x7 for now.

JohnDoe":x5empgj0 said:
Awesome to see all the others on here. Also sparkiegaz, why are the front brakes on your bike backwards?

Pace forks mate...they were designed with the brake on the rear of the fork legs :)

Back