Early Dawes 'The Edge Team'. Anyone got any pics or info ???

Dawes-Man":239339ad said:
Prometheus":239339ad said:
Thanks again for the info, keep us posted on yours as you recommision it, it looks great :cool:

Cheers.
Dave.

Hi.

My 1992 "Edge" and the "Edge eXTRa" are finished - other pics in my Album.

Cheers,
Daniel.

That's very close to the bike I nearly bought, only missing the RS Mags (can't remember now if they were 20 or 21's). Bought by a local who's dad bought him everything and he abused until they went in the bin :(

Carl.

Dawes-Man":3fsbrscc said:
marge602":3fsbrscc said:
... at over 6lbs. ...

I think, it could be a Dawes "Reynolds 531 Magnum" frame like the "Raw Nerve" - very hardcore. :cool:

Going on the cable routing it's a pre '93 frame.
Also my 1994 Dawes Special Edition 501 custom Dawes tubed frames weighs in at 5lb 11oz

Easy_Rider":3nhj859g said:
Also my 1994 Dawes Special Edition 501 custom Dawes tubed frames weighs in at 5lb 11oz

Your "Special" is 18" - the "unknown" is 20" (seems to me).

@ marge602: What Seatpost-Diameter fit them?

@ drcarlos: Any Pictures? The RockShox Mag was only an option - normally they came out with the GeoMax-forkes (Reynolds 531).

Dawes-Man.

A few dimensions for you. The internal diameter of the seat tube is 30.2 mm. Outside is 31.9mm.

The seat tube is 20 inches long from the centre of the BB shell to the top of the tube, however it's only 18 inches to the centre of the top tube. Not sure how Dawes sized their frames back then.

It has a 22.5 inch long top tube(c to c), and a 68 mm BB shell

I've weighed it using my bike scales( a handheld suitcase weighing thingy) and it came out at exactly 6 lbs.

Do you know when Dawes changed from using 531 to 653 for the Edge?

Thanks

Marge

marge602":12du78ih said:
The internal diameter of the seat tube is 30.2 mm. Outside is 31.9mm.

It's the same as at my "Edge" with 531 Magnum Tubes.

marge602":12du78ih said:
Do you know when Dawes changed from using 531 to 653 for the Edge?
Thanks
Marge

Yes - since 1993.

Regards,
Daniel.

marge602":3fbxsd94 said:
... but is closest to the green Raw Nerve with the filleted join between the top tube and seat tube. However, it has the Geo Max forks, and the RN in the pics doesn't seem to. Any ideas?

I've found two others ...

... but all decals are from the 1992 "Edge" and "Edge eXTRa"-models, at the wrong place and clear coat overpainted (the lower two pics).

I've got it - it's a "Rough Trade" from about 1991 with Reynolds 501 Magnum Cr.-Mo. frame (seat- / top- and down-tube only)

Seatpost diameter would be 30.2mm.

It came with a "Spinner" rigid-fork (as pictured: wrong placed decal from the Geo-Max fork on it) --> the proper Geo-Max was more straight than the Spinner-fork.

Has weighed clearly more than the 91/92er "The Edge" frame who was completely made from Reynolds 531 Magnum Mn-Mo.

Attachments

• P1030409 (Large).JPG
    P1030409 (Large).JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,124
  • P1030412 (Large).JPG
    P1030412 (Large).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Dawes_Rough Trade_18 inch.JPG
    Dawes_Rough Trade_18 inch.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 245
marge602":wmuw5uau said:
The seat tube is 20 inches long from the centre of the BB shell to the top of the tube, however it's only 18 inches to the centre of the top tube... I've weighed it using my bike scales( a handheld suitcase weighing thingy) and it came out at exactly 6 lbs.
I've got a lugged 501 Claud Butler that's a good 3" bigger and that's roughly 6lb/2.7kg so I would guess your's is only Reynolds 500 for a smaller frame to come out that heavy.

The 93 catalogue shows a bunch of similar looking models below the Edge with 501 (Off Limits) and 500 (New Wave, Kickback, Hardware).

marge602":s3tzjsb0 said:
I was always under the impression that it was an Edge, and made from 653. However, from reading this thread, it's possibly too heavy to be 653, at over 6lbs. That said, it's one of the bigger sizes, and i've had it powdercoated. Obviously it can't be any newer than a 93 model, but is closest to the green Raw Nerve with the filleted join between the top tube and seat tube. However, it has the Geo Max forks, and the RN in the pics doesn't seem to. Any ideas?

Thanks

Marge

Hello! Sorry for taking sooooooo long to get back to this thread!
I can confirm that your grey frame is identical in every way to my old raw nerve. I can be 99.9% certain it's a 1990 531magnum RN or edge (they shared frames, RN was green pearl, edge was magenta pearl)
Mine had 531 geomax forks when I bought it, they are in the pic where it's covered in mud. I swapped them 2 years later for 750g Marin rockstars in a weight weenie kick :LOL: And it's those that are visible in the second pic. I had the geomax forks in a box until earlier this summer when I was persuaded to sell them to another RBer
002-13.jpg

001-10.jpg

Great frame. Bulletproof. Enjoy it!

Re: Early Dawes 'The Edge Team'. Anyone got any pics or info

i have this bike at home if u want more pictures i will supply them for you

Attachments

• SNC12573.JPG
    SNC12573.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 984
Back