Rear wheel slipping in dropouts

A

Anonymous

Every now and then when I put pressure on when starting from stopped say at a junction my rear wheel slips in the horizontal drop outs so the tyre is rubbing on the chain stay.

I currently has an 'exposed cam' quick release skewer, anyone have any ideas as to how to fix the problem? I'm doing it up as tight as it will go.

Should I replace it with an 'enclosed cam' type skewer

http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

or should I replace it with an allen key type skewer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Security-Bike ... 2a13652e75

Or something else entirely?

Thanks

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Depends if you still want the quick release facility. The allen key type seem pointless and defeat the object of having quick release wheels. It might worth looking at packing the non-lever side with a suitable spacer. I'd also check the quick release lever is in good condition and the cam is exerting enough pressure on tightening. I suppose you have tried screwing the non-lever end onto the skewer more?

Yes, I don't overly use the quick release, I was thinking that maybe more force could be exerted if tightened with an allen. Really it feels unbelievably tight as it is so I can't work out why it slips, have screwed it as far as I can while still being able to push the cam. Will have a look at the skewer and maybe switch it with another bike before buying something.

Is there enough room between the end of the axle and the outside face of the dropout, it could be that the cam is tightening against the axle and not the dropout. Chromed dropouts are also more prone.

Having said that good old Campag skewers never seemed to slip, even when I raced in the 70's :)

Shaun

They are chromed and had a check of the space between the axel and screw part looks alright, will tighten them with a bit more welly and give them one more chance!

Midlife":20bcaxln said:
Is there enough room between the end of the axle and the outside face of the dropout, it could be that the cam is tightening against the axle and not the dropout. Chromed dropouts are also more prone.

Having said that good old Campag skewers never seemed to slip, even when I raced in the 70's :)

Shaun

^^^^^
What he said. Old-school skewers seem to have more "bite" on horizontal chromed ends compared to the more modern styles aimed at bikes with vertical dropouts. Campag, right up to the late 90s/early 00s, and Sachs/Maillard both work well in my experience, although the chrome plating on the latter doesn't always stand the test of time quite so well.

David

Back