Nuovo Record Vs. Super Record

blightyinfurs

Old School Hero
Hello,

I'm looking at two groupsets, and was wondering about some differences between the two. Aside from the titanium bolts, I'm assuming the calipers are noticeable because of the SR having a 'dimpled' quick release; the seatpost is fluted; the pedals are titanium axled and black-caged; and the quick-release skewer levers are curved rather than flat.

Am I correct?

JP

The domed brake callipers quick releases and curved hub QR's have to do with year. I believe the SR derailleur cage has other dimensions. SR headset is aluminum.

What year are you looking at.....? The curved skewers and the domed QR on the brakes are to make them less "stabby" in an accident.

Shaun

Hi. Yes that's right. Think pre '78 for flat levers.

Super Record essentially comes in 3 varieties:

'73 - '78 rear mech looks like Nuovo Record but has black anodizing and titanium bolts. Fromt mech the same as Nouvo Record - all silver. Seat pin Nuovo Record / Gran Sport design but polished with flutes. Brake levers are drilled. Headset is alloy / drilled. Chain rings are a more elegant design.

'78-'84 ish Re-designed rear mech with smooth alloy body and cage allowing a 28 tooth sprocket (vs 26). Front mech gets cage holes black anodizing, and gains a front `lip' (shared with NR apart from the anodising). New distinct seat pin with single bolt fixing with a matt finish at the top.

'84-ish to '87: Seat pin is polished all the way up, brake calipers are redesigned (same for NR) latterly cranks become smooth, not fluted. Rear mech is revised, simplified and loses the body spring removal bolt.

Hubs, brake calipers, cranks will be the same for NR and SR. There was the concept of `full titanium' or `half titanium' up until about the final revision. Super Record could be had with titanium/alloy bottom bracket and titanium pedal spindles. If half titanium was chosen, the same steel BBs as could be had with NR group (there's actually 2 Record and N.Record) and `Super Light' pedals - alloy with black alloy cages and steel spindles. Nuovo Record groups often had these, although a silver steel caged pedal could also be had.

Basically, there's a lot of stuff shared between the two. Not too many run the titanium bottom bracket and pedals so Super Record is functionally very similar to Nuovo Record, but a little lighter with the ability to run a 28 tooth sprocket. There are lots of detail changes along the way, but that's about it!

I run several NR and SR bikes, and to be honest, once you're rolling you'd forget which you were pedaling!

Midlife":3ktxtlzl said:
What year are you looking at.....? The curved skewers and the domed QR on the brakes are to make them less "stabby" in an accident.

Shaun

Hum...all down to the USA litigation culture as was the chain ring outer guard.......Armstrong {cough} with a chain ring guard :LOL:

Nuovo record was "below" super record for those components that had titanium bolts /spindles, Black anodising, drilled levers, fluted seat pillar and chainrings with "diamond cutouts"...

Deax's post covers most of it really :)

Shaun

Only thing I would like to add is that - certainly for the first 2 generations -

1) NR brake levers are undrilled (and better looking/nicer feeling IMHO - which is why I run them on my Gios)
2) Chainrings had different design - NR is reinforced whereas SR is miminalist. It was de rigeur to mix the chainrings. You often see bikes from that era with SR outer ring and NR inner - presumably as the outer had worn out and owner had "upgraded".

Just out of curiosity........have you a pic of your 1975 Harry Quinn?

Back then Quinn frames were often painted in yellow or other bright colours to make them stand out in the pack (peloton) LOL

Shaun

Back