Les Ephgrave Have I described this bike correctly?

anniesmum

Retro Newbie
Someone suggested I place my post here, I hope it is in the right place

My husband was a keen cyclist in the 1960's and was very proud of his bike. He didn't get to use it much but when he retired he started to restore it. Then he became ill and died quite unexpectedly.
I am left with his precious bike and want to sell it to raise money for his charity

I have listed it on ebay. Someone kindly told me it was 'A Les Ephgrave with No. 1 lugs' so I added that to the listing

Could any of you please tell me if I have listed it honestly and correctly. Is there anything else I should add to the listing. I really want to get the best price for the charity I can

Any help is welcome, many thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330810628841? ... 1555.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
wow! No I didn't set a reserve and now there are 2 bids I don't think I can change it. If I had known the make before I listed I could have done my research, but without knowing a name I had no idea where to start. I also didn't know about sites like this one
Thank you

Not for me to say but you might wish to end the e-bay auction and do some more research........There are people who buy frames with the intention of selling them on for a profit..

Shaun

Ephgrave Frame

what you have is certainly worth more than the current bids, track (fixed wheel) frames seem to command better prices than road frames these days but any Ephgrave frame is eagerly sought after by collectors, further research can be done through the Classic Lightweights site: << http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... lders.html >>
.......hope this to be of help and good luck with your sale!

Midlife":22v0nkkb said:
Not for me to say but you might wish to end the e-bay auction and do some more research........There are people who buy frames with the intention of selling them on for a profit..

Shaun
+ 1

Ephgrave frames are very desirable and sought after. He is considered a doyen of old style quality lightweight steel frame builders.

How to identify one ? Look for a number of clues :

1) Turn the bike upside down and look under the bottom bracket where the cranks attach. You should find the initials "LE" punched in together with a number not exceeding 4 digits. He started at 1 in 1948 and the 4 digits started in 1952 and went up to probably not more than 4000. The number will give you a rough idea of the year the frame was built,if you ask someone nicely (me ?).

2) Look at the Classic Lightweights website mentioned above. The second photograph down shows an embossing at the top of the seat stays, near where the seat pin goes that has the saddle on it. This is described as a "lollypop" although sometimes it just looks like a stick. This was a little feature that Ephgrave put on his frames from about the mid 50s.

3) The long spear point on the head tube was certainly a feature of his No. 1 lug, but other builders used spearpoints too so check 1 and 2 above first. If it is an Ephgrave you have a No.1 Super model, identified by the window in the lug, or if an early frame possibly an Italia, both of which makes it even rarer !

Aveley Works was certainly one of his addresses in Clapton (not Clapham) in east London. He moved about a bit. It is not a badge but a transfer; you can get replacements for these.
The components on the bike, brakes etc are nice but not alot different from a number of old bicycles. The frame is the key value. I like to keep originality in old bikes but in this case I guess the frame does need a complete repaint. This will not be cheap and a purchaser will need to go to a competent re-enameller to do the frame justice. Nevertheless, I would look to try and get £400 for it as it is.

The above would suggest again that the OP end the auction, take any hit on listing and spend a bit of time working out what the hardware actually is :)

especially as the bidders are private LOL

Shaun

I would just like to say many thanks for all the help and advice you all gave me on here. I have canceled the listing because I think you are all right - I need to do more research and thinking.
My son is a keen cyclist, well he commutes in London by bike. He now appreciates what we have and wants to keep it for the time being. (I showed him the pictures in the link someone gave) It does look good done up!

Just one more question. It is a fixed wheel. Is it possible to convert it to a normal bike? We all (2 sons, 1 daughter and me) tried to ride it as it is and fell off :oops: Also, how is it that there is only a front break? Why don't you end up flying over the handle bars!
Sorry if these are really stupid questions.

Back