Old VW vs New VW

legrandefromage":1tsodtjw said:
My modern VW Passat ownership was painful.

My old MKII Golf ownership was painless.

You don't know painful!!

Ask my missus about the rebuild on her Alfa Spider......on second thoughts, best not. :shock:

al.

al":f5s1mlfg said:
legrandefromage":f5s1mlfg said:
My modern VW Passat ownership was painful.

My old MKII Golf ownership was painless.

You don't know painful!!

Ask my missus about the rebuild on her Alfa Spider......on second thoughts, best not. :shock:

al.

Oh no, an old Alfa bad news. My pal finally realised his dream and got the car he was always after, a quadrifoglio verde Alfasud, well we went up to the peak district in it and as he was burying the car into high speed cornering explaining how the thing is known for the ability to corner as if it were on rails we became aware of this creaking noise on cornering and noticed the doors were moving in the frame, so he backed off the speed and took it easy for the rest of the weekend.

On getting back first job was getting on the ramps to have a look underneath and to our horror the body shell had just about parted with the floor pan and the doors moving was the whole thing twisting in corners and this thing had a new MOT, obviously a dodgy MOT, but thats what you get buying a car off of a scouse taxi driver. Anyway £2k later all welding was done and the car was a good car, but wow what a loss on that thing, he kept ift for a fair few years after, he had to.

But one would have thought he would have learned about Iti cars as the car he had before the sud was a Miriafiori Sport a car I had to drag out of soft sand on Ainsdale beach when his rear wheel drive dug in and started sinking in yeah sinking sand where my car a front wheel drive Cavalier had no problem in skittering across soft sand and pulling his heap out.

I have only had one rear wheel drive car and that was the Bay and that bogged in a rapidly flooding field at Buildwas in Shropshire, a flood plain no less to attend a car boot sale, that was when I discovered mine had a rare gearbox and there was me thinking I had broke the gearbox when I heard a crunch from underneath as I was forward and reverse driving trying to break the camper free from the mud where it had sunk to to the wheel rims, but with crunch came a sudden forward motion and I was moving forwards and I kept moving and got out of the field which involved the front wheels becoming airborne as I blasted the thing up a forty five degree track instead of the muddy road other cars were using, sliding and crashing into each other, the 70's chipboard camper interior didn't fair too well on landing but at least I was out of the poo.

My next camper will be a type 25/3 syncro, ideally a syncro 16

I like air cooled engines, I have a lot of respect for them given I had one for ten years, which included me taking it apart and rebuilding it when it blew a hole through No.3 piston, the hottest running one on a VW air cooler on the top of Haldon Hill in Devon, yes it got up the hill but died on the way down, it turned out the timing had shifted and it had got a bit hot under the collar and if a VW aircooler is going to go bang it will be no.3 piston that gets it and somewhere on that hill is my rocker covers that got blown off along with the ridiculous wire bails.

But a cancer wagon next- diesel.

I drove a 72 Superbeetle for 10 years. That car would go places that most cars can't. :cool: The only thing I did to change it mechanically from stock was to mount an oil cooler in front of the fan housing and bolt on a set of headers.

Never tried to float it on water like they did in the TV ads BITD, but I once drove it with snow up to the running boards with bald tires going uphill. Another time I drove in a snowstorm on the Pennsylvania turnpike and I didn't see any other cars for hours because nobody else dared to try it. Another time I drove into a muddy field and although the tires sank so deep that the running boards were touching the mud, and from a stopped position, and with a little bit of forward and reverse action, I got my momentum going, and then steering side-to-side got it so it was quite literally swimming/paddling it's way across a sea of mud on its belly. Another time I nosed it into a ditch at least a 30-degree angle, but because the rear tires were still on the pavement, and because the motor sits behind the rear axle, I just put it in reverse, revved the motor, and popped the clutch, and that little car jumped right out of that ditch.

Although it was just a bug, and no match for anything else on the street, it was loads of fun to drive offroad. I put many miles on forest roads and trails, and even drove deep into woods with no trails. And it wasn’t a beater. I had pimped it out with new rubber and aluminum trim and a blue paintjob (think "internet link blue" color), and even though it got plenty muddy, it cleaned up just fine.

I miss that little car. :(

I've had very old VW's to brand new ones , though the spitties look great , IMO you can't beat modern ones ! These days I just want to jump in and drive.ive had 4 old campers which were fun ,but I prefer my caddy :shock:

Back