Raleigh Gran Sport build

GazK

Retro Guru
So I have finally put some folding stuff down and bought a resprayed Raleigh 1983 Gran Sport:

IMAG0423.jpg

Build album is here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1144607467 ... directlink

My broad intention is not to do a slavish rebuild of original parts, for two reasons:
1) the frame isn't in original condition, and
2) I bought it from someone who broke the bike down and is now offering every single part separately. Even the BB is up for sale. Somehow I would feel a chump just reversing this process, at great expense

However the large campagnolo logo obviously sends me in a certain direction, so what I was thinking of was using a sensitive mix of original components e.g. hubs with some newer (early 90s) campy, e.g. chainset and calipers. What does everyone think? Am I being a chump? This bike will be ridden, so I'm not after a museum piece, but its got to look goooooooood...

I've got a couple of issues with the respray / redecal which I would like to rectify, will post further shortly[/img]

All sounds good to me. The main thing to remember is it is YOURBike so don't let others sway you too much ;)

Might have some bits to help you along if you want ;)

kermitgreenkona88":2uin8gvy said:
All sounds good to me. The main thing to remember is it is YOURBike so don't let others sway you too much ;)

Might have some bits to help you along if you want ;)

Thanks for the tip John, will do.

This first thing I could do with advice on is correcting some of the decals. Specifically:

1) Its a Raleigh Gran Sport. It's not a Raleigh GranD Sport, as the respray would suggest:

IMAG0434.jpg

Petty? Yes. Important to me? Also yes. So the question is would it be safe to remove the "D"? I've done railway modelling before and there the standard way to remove transfers is to gently rub a cotton bud dipped in thinners. The decal seems to sit on top of the paintwork and is not connected to the other letters. Good idea or folly?

2) The replacement Reynolds 531 sticker is the wrong tube (bike is 531c) and era:

IMAG0433.jpg

The shape of the original can be seen under the respray. The correct sticker is this one:

reynolds%2520frame%2520decal.JPG

Again the decal sits on top of the paint. Is this amenable to lifting with a hairdryer without lifting the "english lightweight" sticker below?

3) The fork has original decals, quite worn and faded and with a little snagging at the edges:

IMAG0436.jpg

Should I replace with new ones or leave as is?

Slow but steady progress to date....

Old and incorrect Reynolds decals removed, correct ones applied courtesy of H Lloyds...

IMAG0484.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

Campag record hubs and Mavic GP4s came courtesy of nstr_bangor. Rear hub was a bit graunchy and had a bit of a wobble, but a regrease and a bit of work with the spoke key sorted that out. Front in radial spoking, rear is cross 2.

IMAG0500.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

After several weeks watching the price of Campag stuff, I've come to the conclusion that I can't afford the Italian tax, so regardless of the silly decal on the frame I now have an 80s Dura Ace chainset and rear mech en route... watch this space.

PS the seatpost is only there for checking fit... I have in mind something more in keeping with the frame...

Montello":3dm4n0sv said:
GazK":3dm4n0sv said:
2) I bought it from someone who broke the bike down and is now offering every single part separately. Even the BB is up for sale. Somehow I would feel a chump just reversing this process, at great expense

Always seems tragic that people break bikes a flog it in bits ... Keep up the good work.

Montello":1qvsiw6j said:
Montello":1qvsiw6j said:
GazK":1qvsiw6j said:

Always seems tragic that people break bikes a flog it in bits ... Keep up the good work.

Couldn't agree more. Does give me some freedom to play though - see next post for progress...

Made some progress... having decided I can't afford Italian I am going for top-end Japanese for the drive train.

So lovely Dura Ace 7400 chainset added, all it needed was the etched logo repointing with enamel paint. Also Dura Ace 7400 rear mech and a 105 golden arrow front mech.

I also picked up a pair of Vittoria Corsa CX tubs in a last-minute ebay impulse, before realising they are latex. Having said that they look so good I just might put up with the inconvenience of pumping them up every week.

IMAG0509.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg

Still got that bloody awful seatpost though....

Back