Some pics from Sunday's ride...

Mindmap3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Firstly, apologies for what is likely to be a very long post!

I lived in Lodge Moor, on the South West side of Sheffield for a couple of years after uni and was spoilt for riding. So much so that I only realise now how much I took it for granted. I only needed to use the car to go to places like Wharncliffe and Grenoside, other than that I had all of the riding I needed right on my door step.

My local haunts were Wyming Brook (because it was over the other side of the road from where I lived) and Stanage Edge which was only a short ride up the road. Both offered all of the steep, technical, wet, greasy, rocky riding I needed. H

Having not ridden for a few years, I visited my folks up there this weekend and decided to take the bike. An inspired decision that was - I woke up on Sunday to a beautiful sunny, frosty morning. Apologies for some of the pics, I only had my phone with me which is fine until your try and zoom in.

Redmires reservoir looked stunning...

IMAG0059_BURST001.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

Frosty bench and me mucking about with the sunlight...

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

Looking down from the climb up towards Stanage Edge

IMAG0067.jpg

Singletrack down to my favourite descent (the old Roman road)

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

Top of the descent...rock heaven!

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

Bike at the top of Stanage

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

On the push back up, I veered off to another little playground; a wide open section under trees with lots of rocks. There are loads of drops and lines, but the final one out is one of my favourite.

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

Another shot of some singletrack...and me mucking about with the effect of the sun.

IMAG0090.jpg

Back at the top of the main descent.

IMAG0093.jpg

I then rode some great singletrack across a bit of moorland and dropped into Wyming Brook. The first bit is a sketchy little roll on over wet rocks and roots (although the sun makes it hard to see in this pic).

IMAG0094.jpg

There are three descents starting from here and the scenery always reminds me of the pics from Canada because it is so loamy. One of the runs is mega steep too.

IMAG0095.jpg

There is a flatish trail at the top (after a longish slog back up via the fire road) which has some great tech sections, including this one.

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

This is the mid point of a descent that was pretty much over the road from where I lived. The pics don't really do it justice; the top section is rooty, steep and rocky although the next rock section has been turned into a smooth bridleway which is a shame. The middle bit is still fun, with three or four lines and lots of rocks!

IMAG0099.jpg

Sorry for the mega long post, but I just had so much fun yesterday I wanted to share! The SX felt great in Sheffield too, not too much bike like it feels in Cannock.

If anyone is ever up Sheffield way, I strongly recommend a riding pit stop, it is genuinely one of my favourite places to ride.

Looks like a lot of fun. I wish I had that surroundings over here. I have to drive at least 2,5 hours for somthing close to that.

And frost :shock:

I have to drive there now too...I really used to take those areas for granted. Whenever my mate wanted to go riding there, I was always bored of it and wanting to ride somewhere else.

Then again in the summer, I would ride there pretty much every night after work.

It scared the hell out of me when I first moved up there...some of the other lines are super tech. Some of the guys who ride there are lot are amazing.

d00m":1xglb4r5 said:
Looks like great riding, proper mountain biking :) who says it's grim up north?

It is on both accounts...when the weather comes in Stanage Edge is a pretty grim place to be. I've got some pics of a ride in the snow from a few years ago and the first corner of the rocky descent is one big snow drift! I'll try and dig the pic out.

The riding is great though, it's not that fast, but it is steep and technical. And damn good fun.

I grew up in Stocksbridge (a 5 min ride to Warncliffe), I now live in Newark on trent which is the flatest place on earth!! A serious drive needed to get anywhere interesting. As a lad I took Sheffield for granted and all the fantastic riding spots I had on my door step...oh my do I wish I had that now!

highlandsflyer":2txavnxd said:
Excellent thread. Cheers for taking the time to show us a nice ride!

No worries. I had some much fun, I was grinning like an idiot whilst out.

Just plotting my next visit to catch up with the family....

ChrisBrown81":26g49izc said:
I grew up in Stocksbridge (a 5 min ride to Warncliffe), I now live in Newark on trent which is the flatest place on earth!! A serious drive needed to get anywhere interesting. As a lad I took Sheffield for granted and all the fantastic riding spots I had on my door step...oh my do I wish I had that now!

I know the feeling...this was once all on my doorstep.

I'm not too bad having Cannock only a short drive and the local woods are pretty good fun if you like jumps and drops, but it's not the same.

I guess the nearest thing to you is Sherwood Pines, which is a bit pants apart from the bike park. I work in Nottingham and a few guys I work with ride too, and for some of them the Pines is the be all and end all. Getting them to go anywhere else is impossible.

Haha- that's a common theme with Notts riders! Where as for me riding new places is half the fun of MTB's. Yeah Pines is the only good place this side of Sheffield...all I do though is ride the dirt jumps and tiny downhill track. All this talk of Warncliff is making me pine ( :LOL: no pun intended!) For it! I love that place. Not been for a couple of years....defo time for a trip back!

Back